Saturday, July 18, 2009

CSA Challenges

Evelyn had a CSA challenge: she felt bullied by cabbage, which was supplied in reasonable quantities, but enough to overwhelm her. She doesn't like raw cabbage dishes that much. She likes stuffed cabbage but didn't have time to boil the leaves a few at a time, prepare the filling, carefully roll up the little packages, and then braise them -- what a job! She didn't even have time to study the issue.

However, a fellow CSA member provided a suggestion for frying bacon, adding cabbage and browning it, adding onion, sugar, and vinegar, and cooking til done. They were all really delighted with it. I checked the web: though it tastes to her like something from a German restaurant, it's identified as southern or Irish. I'll have to try this -- though I don't have a CSA, Michigan cabbage is really great right now. I would add caraway seeds.

I do like slaw, and I have some ready for my guests tonight. Still using oriental ingredients like sesame oil, sriracha sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar.

No comments: