Monday, December 07, 2015

Happy Chanukah!

This photo from last year looks exactly the same as this year! 
I have improved my latke recipe. Last night I squeezed the water out of the grated potatoes before adding the egg, and it was much better -- not as soggy as my usual latkes. I read a whole bunch of recipes and found out that the ratio of potato-onion-egg varies enormously, so that wasn't the problem. The variance was from one recipe that called for 10 lb. of potatoes and 6 eggs to one that called for 1 lb. of potatoes and 2 eggs, with some in between, and some saying you could do what you want. And lots of recipes with other ingredients from kale to curry -- not very traditional, that is. But they all squeezed the water out of the potatoes, and that did the trick for me. Happy Chanukah!

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

I would love to taste your latkes -- watery or not! But it sounds like the new recipe is a good one. Great trick. I'll pass that on to my cousin.