Sunday, July 26, 2009

Chocolate Mousse Revisited

This is a work in progress:
The bottom layer in these glasses is my first attempt at Vegan Chocolate Mousse. It was a little too stiff: I need to work on the texture, though it had good mouth feel, and the (not-vegan) whipped cream layer was a good contrast. Our friend Bob, who coached me over the phone in my effort to create this dish, thinks I should try using rice syrup or other syrup instead of sugar. Maybe also a smaller percent of chocolate. In any case, for the record, here's what I did:

Bob’s vegan mousse -- a work in progress
1 package (12 oz) Mori-Nu Soft Silken Tofu (from Whole Foods)
8 oz chocolate (Trader Joe’s 72% semi-sweet chocolate)
1 tsp vanilla
¼ to ½ cup sugar

Melt chocolate in microwave. Meanwhile, whip tofu with immersion blender until it’s the consistency of soft whipped cream. Add vanilla, then add melted chocolate and blend until smooth. (If chocolate is too hot, allow to cool a little before adding it). Blend in ¼ cup sugar and then additional sugar to taste. Spoon into a serving bowl or individual serving dishes. Top with sweetened whipped cream and berries.

1 comment:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Mae,
My daughter makes something similar to this recipe for my grandson, I think, as you say, she uses rice syrup. I made it for him at my house and used wild raspberry honey. I had him prepare it with me and he got the biggest kick out of the honey addition as he loves berries in every form. Thanks for sharing and the memories...