Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Museé D’Orsay, Paris

 

Claude Monet, “Impression, Sunrise” (1872)

At the museum today, the major special exhibition was "Paris 1874 Inventer l'impressionnisme." As always at this museum it was overwhelming from beginning (an overview of the very low contemporary reputation of the group of artists eventually known as impressionists) to end (a summary, with many of the original paintings of the later exhibits by this increasingly well-regarded group). While the term “impressionism” was invented after the 1874 exhibit, it plays a huge role in understanding the art and artists, as especially illustrated by Monet’s iconic painting. 

The original 1874 exhibit by the upcoming impressionists was a rebellion against the official “Salon” where the then-conventional artists displayed a professional jury-selected collection of a large number of art works. In contrast to these works, the novelty and huge imagination of the rebel group was very well highlighted by the organizers of today’s exposition. An entire room displayed a number of works that were shown in the Salon of 1874. These now mainly look so dated that it’s almost comic, though at the time the artists took themselves extremely seriously.


The permanent collections of the museum are also fabulous,
as is the building itself — a repurposed rail station — with an incredible clock.
The clock is now the dramatic feature of a dining room (we did not eat there).

The Orsay permanent collection of impressionist and post-impressionist works includes a large number of very famous paintings by Monet, Berthe Morisot, Van Gogh, Renoir, Gustave Caillebotte, and others. I’ve seen them many times in the past and never tire of them. A few in-museum photots:




In the main hall the vast arched roof is an echo of the original rail station.

From a window: a view of roofs and the distant Eiffel Tower.





15 comments:

Rostrose said...

Oh, great, you are in Paris!
Yes, it's fascinating that something was once considered revolutionary and perhaps even shocking that we now think is completely harmless. This applies to (then) new art movements such as Impressionism as well as to other fashions, e.g. dresses without bodices, miniskirts or Beatles hairstyles. I don't know if anything can really shock us these days ;-) But I do know that the sight of this watch absolutely fascinates me!
All the best from Austria and have a nice trip, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/05/weltreise-2024-immer-noch-tasmanien.html

Iris Flavia said...

A great exhibition but especially wow on the building!
The most beautiful train station and clock - thank you for sharing this and enjoy your trip.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Beautiful art work, the first one is my favorite.
The rail station is lovely, the view of the clock is cool.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Divers and Sundry said...

What an exciting trip!

Jeanie said...

I'm reading backwards. You're in Paris at one of my favorite museums. Sigh. The exhibition sounds unbelievably fabulous. Biggest sigh. Enjoy every second. (Of course you will!)

My name is Erika. said...

I loved when I visited the Musee D'Orsay. I'd love to go back. Thanks for reminding me of all the wonderful art there. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

So beautiful! You used your time in Paris well. I hope I can go back and visit again! Hugs!

Valerie-Jael said...

So beautiful! You used your time in Paris well. I hope I can go back and visit again! Hugs!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Neat, thanks for sharing. I know a lot of people who are in Paris this week! Better now than during the Olympic madness, lol

Literary Feline said...

What a wonderful exhibit, especially when you add in the history. I hope you are enjoying your trip, Mae.

Jim said...

Beautiful exhibition.

Bertiebo said...

I would love to see that 1874-Salon room!

Sami said...

I love the Musee D'Orsay too, what a fantastic building, and that clock is so iconic!
Enjoy your trip to Paris.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

This is my favorite art museum in Paris.

thecuecard said...

I never tire of the Impressionists either. That Monet painting is breathtaking. It's hard to turn away from. I saw my first Monet painting in person ... likely in 1984 at the exhibit that accompanied the L.A. Olympics which was amazing. The 1874 exhibit looks wonderful too.