Saturday, November 25, 2023

Thanksgiving Vacation

Things we have done with the family this holiday —

Watching “Oppenheimer.”

Catching up on “The Great British Baking Show.”

We had a drink at the bar at China Chilcano in Washington, DC.

And we had a fabulous dinner at China Chilcano, a José Andrés restaurant with Peruvian/Japanese cuisine.
Andrés  is also the founder of a remarkable organization for providing food to victims of wars and natural disasters:
WORLD CENTRAL KITCHEN.

Dessert: a dulce de leche custard with passion fruit sorbet. Superb!

Going to the National Portrait Gallery to see the famous portrait of President Obama
by Kehinde Wiley. The Gallery has portraits of every President since Washington!

Bill Clinton by Chuck Close.

John F. Kennedy by Elaine de Kooning.

Abraham Lincoln by W.F.K.Travers (link)


Photos by mae sander © 2023
Shared with Deb at Readerbuzz.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like fun times with your family.
I love that Obama painting.
Take care, have a great weekend!

My name is Erika. said...

It looks fun Mae. What did you think of the movie Oppenheimer? I liked it very much. hugs-Erika

Cloudia said...

Thank you! Feels like you have taken us on a very lovely outing. Aloha

DVArtist said...

Lovely post. I'm watching British Baking show right now. I also watch The Great American Baking Show. There is one season on the Roku channel. Have a nice day today.

Helen's Book Blog said...

Looks like a wonderful holiday!

Joy said...

What a great holiday, with such a variety of activities. That dessert looks like a piece of art! I'm glad that it tasted good, too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I miss the Great British Bake Off now I got rid of cable. Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. I think you must have had a lot of fun by the looks of all the happy faces. I also loved the portrait of Obama. Not so much the one of Clinton. Yes, art is subjective.

Iris Flavia said...

Looks like a very entertaining and yummy time you had. Love the portrait of Obama.
The other day I saw a docu on how the first portrait of Lincoln was done - quite an effort to make him look "nice" on a photograph...

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

All of it sounds wonderful!!!!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

A great way to spend the holidays, I think. I would love to see the portraits of the presidents---that Obama portrait is superb. And look at the food you have gotten to enjoy...delightful.

Happy Thanksgiving! I will try to get my Disqus issues sorted out with the Help Desk on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Jeanie said...

I love that Obama portrait. What a packed holiday -- good packed!

Cindy said...

Sounds like a great week!

Sarah said...

The Portrait Galley sounds amazing!

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

Seems like it was an interesting weekend.

Wishing you a great reading week

Sherry's Pickings said...

wow yes please to that dessert.