Monday, November 06, 2023

Washing Dishes



My coffee pot: cleaned by hand and left on a drying mat.
We make one pot of French-press coffee each morning, and then scrub the coffee pot.

Here’s something I never think much about: washing dishes. Someone has to do it but it’s not very creative or challenging. While I’m doing food prep, I usually wash things and get them out of the way as part of the process. I try to leave less to do after the meal, though some recipes don’t leave time for this step. In my early life in cooking and cleaning up, I sometimes left the dishes in the sink for the next morning, but eventually I found that unappealing. Plus I got a dishwasher. So now we usually don’t leave much of a mess — one of us cleans up soon after each meal.

Mugs and glasses in my dishwasher, which is one of humanity’s best inventions so far IMHO.

Recently, I read an article in Slate that said washing dishes was a neglected skill that needed more attention, and implicitly criticizing cookbooks because they didn’t explain how to clean up after making each recipe. I found this absurd. Who needs instructions on washing dishes? The author, Marian Bull, went ON and ON about washing dishes, mostly repeating the same things over and over, and saying how you need a whole book about washing dishes, and how clean-up should be discussed as part of every dish you cook. She mentions “the unending toil of grease, grime, heat, soap, water, scrub, exhaustion, and sparkle.” 

Ridiculous! But I started thinking a little about the topic, and remembering some things about people teaching me to wash dishes.

When I was in seventh grade, all the girls took a class called “Home Economics,” which taught us how to do household jobs in the kitchen. The boys took “Shop,” or more formally “Industrial Arts,” which taught them to use tools, though I really never knew what they did and incidentally, I never learned to use shop tools. 

Each week in our Home Ec class we would cook something like hot cocoa or another very easy dish — I don’t remember what else we did in school, though we had homework to make brownies and cinnamon rolls, which were memorably delicious. I’m not sure if we took turns or if each person in our assigned teams tried every task, but after setting out ingredients and cooking them according to very strict instructions, we would set the table with perfect etiquette-book arrangement of plates and utensils. After formally serving and eating our work, we would wash the dishes. The prescribed method used two dishpans: one with soapy water and one with clean water for rinsing. We dried the dishes with a clean dish towel and put them back in the cupboards in the kitchen classroom. Everything was methodical and kind of boring.

Dish towels in my cabinet as they are today, not as they should be: straightened up.
Also a box of rubber gloves.

I think I remember the dishwashing part of Home Ec more than the cooking part, though I never really subsequently followed the procedure that I had learned in school. At home, my mother believed in rinsing dishes in running water to be sure all the soap was removed, which is how we did it when it was our turn to wash dishes (complainingly, I regret to say). I think my mother was right about this, and Miss Gordon the teacher was wrong. 

Ad for Old-Lady Shoes
A little more about Miss Gordon -- she was EXTREMELY old and prune-faced and wore drab-colored shapeless dresses and a kind of lace-up medium heeled shoe that doesn’t seem to exist any more except on vintage websites. Except for a few newly-graduated teachers, all our teachers from first grade onward wore these "old-lady" shoes. I think that teachers like that haven’t existed in many years, which is a blessing. Junior high school was a nightmare!


Blog post and photos © 2023 mae sander
Shared with Elizabeth at Altered Book Lover

18 comments:

Jeanie said...

What a great story! I often tend to let the dishes go till morning if it's just the two of us (despite the dishwasher) but I always, always clean up as I go along when I'm cooking. Maybe because the kitchen is small, maybe I'm just hotwired that way. And I do a lot of mise en place, too, so I can get the ingredients put away before I get into the mess of cooking!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I remember home economics in 9th grade and we did bake and make food. The other half of the year we had sewing. I could use a course on how to load the dishwasher- I don't seem very good at it.

Kate Yetter said...

" EXTREMELY old and prune-faced and wore drab-colored shapeless dresses"-Haha, I love this! It's amazing the things we remember about our teachers.
I wash dishes the same way, in running water. I can't stand to wash dishes in dirty water. I know it uses a lot of water but I prefer clean dishes.
Happy Tea day,
Kate

Anne in the kitchen said...

We had one semester of cooking and one semester of sewing in our Jr.high home ec. class.

I don't remember specifics about dishwashing and cleaning other than we had to leave the room just like we found it__clean with everything in it's proper place.

I would sound shocked at a book needing to have a clean up section if I had not heard from my sons about their early college experiences. One son did his roommates laundry because he had no idea how to use a washer and dryer, and the coin machines (ok they used laundry cards rather than quarters) threw him completely. Son's motives were not truly altruistic though. He did his own laundry in the same load using the roommates money.
Another son's roommate had no idea how to hand wash dishes because he had only loaded a dishwasher before. They wound up have a dish war because my son was not going to wash everyones dishes. He kept his clean dishes out of the common space so he would always have clean plates and utensils.

Carola Bartz said...

I usually clean up in the evening after dinner because I don't like to come into a "dirty" kitchen the following morning. Everything I use during the cooking process I clean up right away if possible, everything else right after the meal. I try to avoid using running water since that is such a valuable resource and I don't want to waste it. Dishes and cups etc. get into the dishwasher anyway, and I certainly don't rinse them before. I do wash glasses and the old family silverware by hand, though.
We never had Home Ec in school, but we had needlework while the boys had wood working. I would have preferred wood working, but it wasn't an option at that time. Our third grade teacher was actually very progressive as in her class both girls and boys had to learn to crochet.

My name is Erika. said...

I don't think we need a book on how to wash dishes, but there are some materials that need different techniques of cleaning. I learned through an internet search that if you have something burnt on the pan, boiling water and baking soda work great. (Like the time I got distracted and burned spaghetti sauce. It was bad enough that soaking didn't help. I wonder if it varies between types of pans too. Now you have me thinking Mae. Have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Romance Reader said...

Wow, interesting to read this. I never ever leave the dishes in the sink. I wash as I go along without really thinking about it.

Sherry's Pickings said...

I can't say I've ever thought much about washing dishes, but i quite enjoy it. So satisfying to have a clean kitchen! I try to rinse as i go when cooking but i don't really mind if i don't. I did Home Ec. at high school too. I can't remember what happened with the dishes; I guess we washed them but i have no recollection of it...

Iris Flavia said...

We in West-Germany had no such classes sadly.
We could choose between sewing and tools, no cooking etc. In East Germany they even had gardening!
Oh, a dishwasher. Well, that would be... me. I mostly do it right away when still wet and fresh.
And I certainly love Jamie´s idea of using one pot.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is my first home where I haven't had a dishwasher. I also rinse my dishes but I save the water in buckets. Nothing goes down the drain. It all goes on my herbs. I love cooking in the microwave because I can eat the food I prepare in the same dish. That just leaves silverware, which is usually quick to wash and dry.

I like the way you describe the elderly ladies who taught you in school. I was lucky. I had a grandfather who wanted a boy, so I learned all about tools, engines, plumbing, and electrical. Never did learn how to cook until I was out on my own, though.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful take on washing dishes with us for T this Tuesday, dear Mae. BTW, I still hate my French Press.

Valerie-Jael said...

Washing dishes goes alongside cooking and kitchen. Perhapy that's why I don't cook so much these days! I mostly make meals which can be re-heated for the next day or two. But since my cleaner comes every Wednesday, I keep everything clean and tidy! Happy T Day, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

In Home Ec, I learned there was an order to washing dishes. Fill the sink with hot, soapy water and another sink or basin with clean, hot water for rinsing. Utensils and drinking glasses were washed first. Then dishes, then pots, pans, and cooking utensils. I agree with your mother rinsing is done under hot running water. Happy T Day

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember Home Ec. It was one of my first experiences with a bully in a class where I couldn't escape her. Junior high school was a horrifying time in my life.

We clean up our own dishes as we finish with them. I used to do them all, as I considered that part of my household responsibilities as a stay-at-home-mom. Times change, though. We never use the dishwasher.

I don't use the French press every day, and I don't take it completely apart to thoroughly clean each part every time I use it. Lazy, I guess ;)

Happy T Tuesday!

Empire of the Cat said...

Great post Mae, very timely for me as I am currently considering getting a dishwasher for the first time! I don't really like them but I have pain in my hands, and washing dishes is one of the worst activities for me. In home ec we only learned how to cook, I don't remember having to wash the dishes afterwards. I agree with CJ about the order to washing dishes too. Happy T Day! Elle xx

Violetta said...

You seem to have the same dish-washer that we have :-). Must be a long time ago since girls learned houskeeping in school.
Have a good time and happy T-day
Violetta

Linda said...

I didn’t take home ec in high school, but my mom taught me how to wash dishes. She rinsed under running water also.

Since I live by myself, I don’t use the dishwasher all the time, but I make it a point to run it once a week to keep it fresh. When I bought the house, there was an old dishwasher that had not been used in a long time and had mold growing in it.

Lisca said...

What a great post! I have only recently bought a dishwasher. There is no room for it in the kitchen so it lives next door and I put the dirty dishes in a crate and carry them over. As I live alone, I don't use the dishwasher every day, but a couple of times a week sure. When I was a child my parents often did the washing up, as it was their time together to discuss things. When it was my turn, (or my sister's) again that was always an opportunity to talk to that particular parent about issues. My parents would wash in soapy water and then dry immediately. When I lived in Italy, I learnt to rinse everything before placing the items in a drying rack above the sink to let them air dry. I still do that.(when I don't use the dish washer).
I never had home ec at school in the Netherlands. But we did learn to sew, knit and crochet.Our teacher was similar to the type you described (which made me laugh)
Happy T-Day,.
Lisca

David M. Gascoigne, said...

In our house we both cook, and I generally put things away while I am preparing the meal, and even though the dishes are my chore I seldom do it right after we have eaten. Mostly I do it the next morning, often before Miriam even gets up. We are just two people and we seldom use the dishwasher unless we have company. You can certainly do a better job by handwashing. Doing the dishes is an activity that is completely neutral to me. I neither enjoy it, nor do I resent it. It has to be done, and it gives me time to think of other matters anyway. We were treated to lunch by good friends today, so dinner will be a very light affair. Not many dishes in the morning!