Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Books I Read in August

While traveling and since I've returned,  I've read several books, but I've never taken the time to write any blog posts about them. The Kindle App makes it easy to have lots of reading material even while traveling light! So you can see above, my Kindle screen with books I've read. Before the month is over, I wanted to list and briefly describe them, but if I try to review them, I'll never catch up. 

  • Hunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda. I would call this a romantic novel, in a very French style. The characters are quirky and mainly lovable, and they develop deep relationships and commitments to one another in the course of the story. One of them is a hard-working chef -- unlike many American novels about Paris restaurants, this shows the painful and abusive side of life in a restaurant kitchen in Paris.
  • Death in Brittany by Jean-Luc Bannalec. This is a great police procedural, set in Pont-Aven, Brittany, where Gauguin and other artists lived in the 19th century. The memory of the artists is at the center of this suspenseful murder mystery. I especially enjoyed reading about the wonderful meals that the characters ate, for example:
    • "They ordered straight away, without much discussion. Belon oysters harvested from the river a few hundred metres away, followed by grilled monkfish with fleur de sel, pepper and lemon, washed down with a chilled, very young red wine from the Rhône valley." (p. 250).
  • The Dance Hall of the Dead by Tony Hillerman. This is the second of the novels about policeman Joe Leaphorn, written around 40 years ago and still wonderful to read because it's so knowledgeable about the lives of the Navajo and Zuni people in the Southwest. And very skillfully constructed. Hillerman was a master! Over the years, I've read the whole series and I'm starting over.
  • The Far Traveler: Voyage of a Viking Woman by Nancy Marie Brown. I reread this to connect with all I was learning about the Viking settlements of Greenland beginning in the 10th century. It was wonderful to learn about events that took place 1000 years ago in the exact locations that we visited.
  • Quake: A Novel by Auður Jónsdóttir. I enjoyed this interesting psychological novel by an Icelandic writer. There are so many Icelandic writers -- considering the very small size of the country, and I'm planning to read more. The New York Times recently published a tempting list: "Read Your Way Through Reykjavík"
  • The Daughter of Dr. Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. This is a scary horror story based on the work of H.G.Wells. Moreno-Garcia is excellent at turning the standard horror genre into something different, where women are more powerful and less victimized, somehow.
  • The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G.Wells, one of the inventors of Sci-Fi as we know it. I had to read the original as well as the knock-off. This was first published in 1896. There are at least two movie versions, which also influenced Moreno-Garcia, I think.
  • Ant Farm by James M. Jackson. When our fellow passenger Jim on the Explorer told us that he had written a series of detective novels, of course I had to read one. This is the first Seamus McCree novel in his series. I liked the hard-boiled style of the mainly first-person narrative, and I enjoyed the references to many types of birds (Jim is an avid birder) and also the numerous meals that he mentioned. Here's one of Seamus's descriptions:
    • "I drowned my pancakes in maple syrup—the real thing from Vermont. Years ago Paddy [Seamus's son] had insisted I ditch the supermarket plastic-bottle stuff. He claimed maple syrup was the one sweetener that didn’t impede mineral absorption, or some such. I admired his eating habits, but usually didn’t want to emulate them. He’d live longer than I, but I was unwilling to give up meat to gain a few years of life expectancy. In this case, I didn’t care what his reasons were; real tasted better." (p. 83).
Jim Jackson and his wife Jan in the lounge of the Explorer.



Blog post © 2022 mae sander.


10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,

A nice variety of books, my favorites are the Mysteries and Detective stories. I see a few on this post that I will add to my reading list. I do love my kindle, it is much easier to handle than a hardback book or the paperbacks.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Tina said...

I do agree a Kindle is the way to go when traveling. Love reading on mine just sitting at home. You are inspiring as the descriptions of your books is exactly the type I was hoping to accomplish since abandoning my book blog. I was way too long winded. Perfect!

Jim Jackson is/ was my brother's name :-) I never know what tense to use when someone is deceased.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done. I am just finishing up Donna Leon's books. It's tricky, though, as her last one has 12 people who've reserved ahead of me in line at the library!

My name is Erika. said...

Interesting booklist Mae. I've read the Fra Traveller and also the Hillerman. They are good books. I've been doing a book purge on my shelves and came across the Island of Dr. Moreau yesterday. One of the kids at school (many years ago) had never taken it home with them. I decided to keep it, so one day it may make my book post too. Thanks for sharing. Hugs-Erika

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

How amazing to meet an author and enjoy his book! You read quite a lot this month. Like you, I travel with e books rather than paperback novels.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Somehow, I don't find time to read like you. I can see reading while on a cruise though. Loved your eclectic mix of books this month, Mae.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

One of the things I love to do is to pack my Kindle Fire with books from Overdrive and Hoopla before I leave for a trip. I especially like to find books that are set in the location in which I am traveling. I love it when I meet an author while I am on the road. How wonderful that you were able to find and read this author's book.

I think I'd most like to read The Far Traveler: Voyage of a Viking Woman by Nancy Marie Brown. I read Viking's Dawn for the 1001 Children's Books challenge (first published in 1956) and I've also read the recently published collection of old Viking tales, The Dragon's Hoard: Stories from the Viking Sagas.

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

It might have been awkward if you hadn’t liked your fellow traveller’s book!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your recent reads.

Wishing you a great reading week

Cindy said...

I still need to do this post for my blog. I am not sure how many books I finished in August. Have a great weekend!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

What a nice batch of books. I am always impressed when others seem to have their reading all figured out. Mine always seems so haphazard. Happy end of summer!