Wednesday, August 31, 2022

August: Away from My Kitchen


The forbidden space of the kitchen on the National Geographic Explorer lies behind the window in the photo. Only the kitchen workers are allowed inside (though in the past I believe they used to give tours to the ship's passengers). As a passenger on the ship, I received almost all my meals from July 31 through August 15 from this kitchen -- so this was and was not “my kitchen” in August. And I found almost every meal just delightful and found that among the several choices at breakfast, lunch, and dinner there was always something that I really enjoyed. In addition, during the pre-dinner cocktail hour and presentation time, the waiters would come around with big trays of hors-d’oeuvres that were very enjoyable.

Breakfast

A selection of meat, fish, and vegetables was available daily at breakfast.
Other areas of the buffet included many types of bread and pastry,
several kinds of fruit, cereal and oatmeal, and several specials.

Omelets were made to order almost every day — once there were waffles instead.

Cocktail Hour

Although I mostly drank wine, I tried one or two
mixed drinks from the open bar. My Margarita 
was nice with an hors-d'oeuvre of brie and jam.

A "White Lady" for me, sherry for Len.


Dinner

Most evenings, we sat down to beautifully set tables with white tablecloths and dinner napkins, and were given a printed menu and a glass of red or white wine (if we wanted it). Usually there were three choices of starters, often including a salad. Then, three choices of main course: a vegetarian dish, a fish dish, and a meat dish. A few alternatives like a steak or spaghetti with red sauce were always available. Lunch was the same as dinner, with a very light soup-sandwich-salad buffet served in the observation lounge as an alternative.

We most often chose fish, as it’s really well-prepared and varied on the Explorer. The kitchen also provides special items for people with special needs such as gluten free or vegan. On two occasions, we enjoyed a themed buffet dinner — once, a Filipino buffet and once, an Argentine “Asado.” Here are a few highlights from the lunch and dinner choices:

“The perfect egg”

Veal osso bucco with vegetables.

The Filipino buffet was in honor the kitchen staff who
are almost all from the Philippines. A suckling pig was the piece de resistance.

At the table showing our plates filled at the “Asado” buffet,
which offered grilled foods with an Argentine theme.

A vegetarian timbale with crisped greens.

Rice-encrusted squid.

Desserts

One dessert choice at lunch and dinner was usual, with alternatives of a brownie or ice cream or sometimes cheesecake. Fortunately the dessert portions were small! I’m sure we could have asked for more than one though I never wanted to do so. Here are a few of the many desserts, which were mainly quite delicious.

Passion fruit mousse.

Just part of the vast dessert buffet on Filipino night.

Crème Brûlée. 

Rhubarb crumble.

The chef prepared this chocolate lava cake
during last year’s voyage too!

Back Home in My Own Kitchen


Iceland and Greenland magnets from this year and last year.
The boots are part of the traditional dress of the Inuit women of Greenland, still worn on special occasions.

Well, not much to say about the week or so that I’ve been home. Only one new thing — the usual magnets for the fridge! I’m sharing these kitchen thoughts with Sherry and her loyal bloggers who write a post each month on the theme “In My Kitchen.” 

We missed a lot of summer produce — but managed one plum cake.

Souvenir of Greenland: an Inuit Tupilaq bone carving.
Originally a tupilaq was a dangerous monster, but these creatures have
become the subject of traditional carvings that no longer have such significance.

Greenland was a beautiful place to visit!


Blog post and photos © 2022 mae sander

15 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

You had some nice food during your trip Mae. And I've seen some of those Tupilaq monster bone carvings in Iceland. They are certainly scary. Happy end of the month. hugs-Erika

Tina said...

I'm sorry you had to rough it during the trip, haha! Seriously, what a lovley presentation of meals. Everything looks good although the pig was a little scary.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

They certainly fed you well on that trip. Amazing how you mentioned earlier that most of the Greenlanders didn't have enough food most of the time, yet you ate like a queen. What amazing buffets and meals you were served daily. Just impressive.

Kitchen Riffs said...

I've been through kitchen tours on cruise ships -- very fun. Although I doubt if they're a thing at the moment -- too much of a health risk. Anyway, it looks as if you ate pretty well!

Moya-Food and Tools said...

Hi Mae, hope you are well and it looks like you had food feast while on the ship. Although I do feel sorry when I see the baby pig presented like that. Have never visited Greenland, the place looks amazing. The souvenirs are a must, Have a great September. Moya xx

DVArtist said...

I love everything about this post. The food looks amazing even the pig. However, the bone carving you got is spectacular!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

The food looks and sounds fantastic!

Sherry's Pickings said...

i love that bone carving but i'm pretty sure we can't bring such things into australia. wow all that fabulous food on your trip. i'm afraid i would eat too much! how wonderful to visit iceland and greenland. a dream of mine ...
thanks for joining in again this month.
cheers
sherry

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,
The food on the ship looks delicious, awesome choices.
I like your new magnets and the Greenland souvenir is cool.
The last photo is lovely, beautiful rainbow.

Happy September! Take care, have a great day!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Mae,
You certainly have had a beautiful experience traveling in every respect. The food looks amazing (ok - the pig really wasn't my thing) -and I'm sure you are happy to be back home. I enjoyed all your shares of Greenland.

Jenn Jilks said...

Such a marvellous adventure! Always like the food!

Liz said...

What an amazing trip! I have a whopping case of trip envy just now, it seems like everyone is going on an adventure. The food looks glorious.

Now I have to go back and look at some of your older posts about the trip. Welcome home.

Marg said...

The food looks amazing. When we cruised we preferred to sit down and eat in the restaurant rather than the buffet.

Makes me want to get on a ship, but there are no plans for that until this time next year!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm impressed with the food choices on your boat.

Unknown said...

what nice food on the boat! I thought food on cruises would be a bit bland and boring, but it looks like an amazing spread and those desserts are making me so hungry, as is your amazing plum cake! I would love to visit Greenland one day...