Thursday, June 04, 2020

Kathy’s Bear


One day early in April while I was taking a walk, I saw Bear sitting on the neighbor's tree lawn and reading the newspaper. At that time, people talked about putting out teddy bears to cheer up the isolated children, who were out of school.

Other people seemingly lost interest in this thought, but our neighbor Kathy has faithfully provided Bear with lovely toys and useful things, such as these Sabbath candles one Friday. Bear has a new look almost every day -- even when it rains. Throughout April and May, I have enormously enjoyed visiting Bear when I take a walk. I know that the children who live around here love Bear as much as I do.
Bear usually stays in the same spot under the tree,
but one day he climbed up to visit with Squirrel.







Kathy pointed out to me that Bear had a crop of
mushrooms growing next to his spot, to eat with his egg.


Would you guess that Bear can use a scissors?
Evidently, Bear completed his studies at the University of Michigan, and wore his cap (no gown)
on graduation day. I suppose his diploma was conferred virtually, like that of all the class of 2020.




Bear is very popular. These three girls ride their bikes to visit him every day. In fact, their mother told me,
sometimes they visit more than once a day. (You can just see Bear at the left edge of this photo.)

This blog post and all photos © 2020 mae sander. The bear entirely belongs to Kathy!

15 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhhh, awww.
My Mielebaer sure is excited to see this companion!
Awwww, the ice cream on his nose!

Wonderful, too, people just look or take pics!

Loveliest post!

My name is Erika. said...

How cute is that bear Mae. And someone has a good sense of humor!

Jeanie said...

This is just the cutest thing ever. And Kathy is so inventive with her various Bear vignettes! I love them all (where DID she get that tiny toilet!). I love her energy and spirit and I wish she was my neighbor. I wish YOU were my neighbor too - you have the best neighborhood!

Zhoen said...

Wonderfully creative. I just put a bear out for a while, then started back to work and bear decided to stay in and nap. Silly bear.

Catalyst said...

I hope those girls enjoy Bear as much as you and I do.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is so adorable. Your friend know how to photograph Bear. It's really cute and clever.

I used to have a cat named Dog, a dog named Bear, and a stuffed bear named Kitty. People used to laugh when they saw all three in the same room together.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

That has started my day with a warm fuzzy feeling. No pun intended. Shabbat Shalom

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Mae,
One of the loveliest stories read in a long time!
This is how love and life ought to be.
Giving, creative and educative.
Glad those children get to visit Bear a lot.
Kathy deserves lots of Kudos and I love the photo with the mushrooms, they show up after showers...
Hugs,
Mariette

Today uploading chapter 9 and continuing with another huge one, then a shorter one and the biggest for the end. Will be so happy when this complex manuscript is finally done!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Is that sweet your idea to play with this bear and the squirrel and the three girls are happy!
I was so amused over there. thanks for the happy moment!
I wish you Happy Weekend, hugs Elke

Anu said...

Lovely.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love all these images of bear, they are all such cute poses. If I lived near there, I would visit Bear every day too. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend. PS, thanks for the visit and comment.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That is just the cutest thing ever! I love the one where he's in the tree with the squirrel! I showed these pics to my hubby and we both enjoyed them. What a sweet thing that lady has done to bring joy to others!

Sadini Upeka said...

Awww, such an adorable and heartfelt gesture! Greetings from Sri Lanka!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

What a delight!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

These are fantastic! Thank you for sharing these photos of your neighbor's bear, and brightening my day. I hope she gives him an umbrella if he's out there when it's raining. :-)