Saturday, August 03, 2024

A Quiet Week

In my quiet garden.

A Lunch at Ikea

We are fond of the meatball plate and of the smoked salmon plate.
My inner 4-year-old selected the rainbow cake which was ok.


There is always a Mona Lisa reproduction in the decorator department.

We didn’t buy much…A Godis is a drinking glass. We needed some new ones — they are always breaking.
The lingonberry preserves served with the meatballs are great — now I have some at home.

Aftonsparv is a teddy bear in an astronaut costume. I thought they were cute.
I love stuffed animals and keep promising myself NOT TO BUY THEM. (I didn’t)
But I’m sharing this with Eileen’s Critters.

Italian Food: Reading about Tomatoes


Pomodoro! A History of the Tomato in Italy by David Gentilcore isn’t as good as some of the food history books in the same series, which is titled “Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History.” In my opinion, this author had a few problems with focusing on the topic — besides tomatoes in Italy, he covers tomato history elsewhere, the development of tomato consumption by Italian immigrants in the US and South America, the history of pasta (especially with tomato sauce), and other generally related topics. 

These heirloom tomatoes at my local produce market resemble the tomatoes that were grown in Italy several
hundred years ago. At that time, the tomato was always formed in deep folds like these.

In reading this book, I learned a lot, especially about the early history from the time tomatoes began to be introduced from the New World to Europe. My previous impression was that tomatoes were generally rejected as food until at least the late 19th century, but the author shows evidence that they were actually introduced much more slowly and much earlier. Specific details about many things are interesting, such as the history of pizza, the history of canned tomatoes, and the history of imports and exports of tomatoes and tomato products and their adoption in many places. My favorite quote: 

“The sight of GIs opening cans of tomato spaghetti must have been a strange one to southern Italian peasants as the Allied forces made their way up the peninsula in the latter stages of World War II.” (p. 172)

On the whole, the author seems to try to include too much, and I would have liked a bit more discipline in the range of topics!

Tomatoes in Art

I enjoyed the selection of various art works that were evidence of the development of eating tomatoes, especially in Italy. Here are some of the most intriguing ones:

Carlo Magini (1720-1806), “Still Life,” showing tomatoes and eggplants. In the early years, these two 
foods were seen as closely related, as they are members of the same botanical family.

“The Angels’ Kitchen”

The Angels' Kitchen (1646) by Spanish painter Bartolomé Esteban Murillo interested me very much. It’s hard to see, but the little angels on the right have a basket of tomatoes. In Spain, tomatoes began to be eaten quite early in history. Sicily, which at the time was ruled by Spain, followed their example, so this is an early suggestion that tomatoes were beginning to be eaten in Italy. (The painting is currently in the Louvre, though I don’t remember ever noticing it among the 7,500 paintings usually on display there.)




Above: Two lithographs showing ordinary people eating macaroni, not necessarily with tomatoes. Artist: Gaetano Dura (1805-1878), who lived in Naples and illustrated the lives of the people there.A fascinating look at the food and the kitchens of ordinary people around 200 years ago.

A vintage Italian advertisement for tomato paste, wine, and pasta.

Still Watching the Beautiful Olympic Games!

Windsurfing!


Blog post © 2024 mae sander
Shared with Deb’s Sunday Salon.

22 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

You are allowed to take pics at IKEA? I was told off...
Always go for your inner child!
On the way to buy tomatoes to make another batch of pizza sauce as again I have some old tomatoes here...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your garden is lovely. So serene.

No Ikea anywhere near where I live and never been to one. Enjoyed the Mona Lisa, though.

Interesting book on tomatoes. I've seen these heirloom tomatoes at our Farmer's Market, too.

Glad you are enjoying the Olympics. Somehow, I can't get into them this year.

My name is Erika. said...

The closest IKEA to me is south of Boston and a couple of hours of driving. But I also really enjoy their meatball plate and always buy ligonberry sauce. hadn't hey now have rainbow cake, wow. I read a book last year called 10 Tomatoes that Changed the World. It was very good, and you might like it. Have a super weekend. hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

What a pretty garden! I've never eaten at IKEA between those images and those of tomatoes my mouth is watering 😊 I'm watching the women's Olympics soccer game right now. USA vs Japan still scoreless.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fun post. I nearly always choose food which has tomatoes in it somewhere, and if there's salmon in it, too, that's for me! Ikea is a fun place to kook around, I have a lot of IKEA pictures, too. But I don't like the look of the rainbow cake! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Rostrose said...

When I go to Ikea to eat, I almost always get the Köttbullar / meatballs, too. But interestingly, I now have an appetite for tomato sauce ;-)
All the best from Austria, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/07/ruckschau-auf-den-rest-vom-mai-2024-und.html
PS: Your quiet garden looks lovely!

thathappyreader said...

Your garden looks very zen! Have a great weekend.

Cindy said...

Sounds like a great week! I think it's fascinating that there are Olympic sports that require wind, and I wonder if it has always been that way? We were having this discussion the other day when sailing was cancelled.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've never been to an IKEA but I know I could spend all day there. Lunch would be needful!

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I love the cover of the Pomodoro book so much!!! Look at the three ladies!!!

Love your quiet garden.

Love Ikea meatballs and lignonberry sauce.

Vicki said...

I've been craving fried green tomatoes and that photo is making me crave them even more.

My two sons, daughter in law, and I love IKEA and enjoy eating there.

I hope you have a great week!

Jeanie said...

Wonderful art here -- and I do love the lingenberry jam!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

The most delicious things we grow in our garden and one of my favorite things to cook with are our tomatoes. I wondered when tomatoes were first used in Italy. It's fun to imagine how many Mona Lisa paintings are in people's homes all around the world, I think.

I'd love to spend time in your garden. It's serene.

GreenComotion said...

The lunch at Ikea looks promising. Who could pass on the Lingenberry jam? :)
The paintings/art photos are really lovely.
Thanks for sharing all these with us.
Be well!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have never been to an IKEA store, but I had no idea you could have lunch there! Do you have to put it together yourself? As for tomatoes, ‘‘tis the time of year. We seem to eat them at every turn!

Emily said...

We had an IKEA lunch this week. Honestly they are the best meatballs. For my son IKEA is a massive playground. He loves playing in the kitchens. It is quite hard to get around the massive showroom 😂

Have a lovely weekend!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog

Joy said...

I'm trying to watch some of the less celebrated sports at the Olympics. Windsurfing is a good one that I have thus far missed.

Becki said...

The picture of your garden is relaxing just to look at! Thanks for sharing. We used to live closer to IKEA. Love those meatballs and the lingonberry stuff <3

Sherry's Pickings said...

I've never had an Ikea meatball. Are they good? I know my nephew loves them.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Mae
Sorry I am late visiting and commenting. The Ikea bear is cute. The food looks yummy. I did not know the Olympics covered windsurfing, that is cool. The tomatoes look delicious. I like the art work too. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Lisca said...

It's not the T-Day post I was looking for but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I love Italian tomatoes and the tomatoes we have here in Spain are exactly like the ones you showed with the deep grooves. They are so tasty. I like them slightly under ripe.
Oh Ikea. I have one at an hour and a half drive now but in the past it was 3 hours drive or more, so once a year we would make a day of it and eat lunch there too. Hubby loved the meatballs and I the salmon.

Mae Travels said...

@Lisca — You said this wasn’t the T-Day post you were looking for. In fact, it’s not the one I linked to for T-Day. That one did have a specific picture of a beer glass on a painted window that was meant for T-Day. This is the one with the beer glass: https://maefood.blogspot.com/2024/08/downtown-street-art.html