Sunday, August 11, 2024

Rural and Urban

Another quiet week has gone by. We took a few photos of some not-far-away places that we visited, including a country ride where we saw barns and a market, and a brief expedition to Detroit.


A Country Market



Here’s what I did with some of the tomatoes! Basil grows in my herb garden.

We’ve shopped at Fusilier’s Family Farm Market a number of times.
From our house, it’s around a 45 minute drive through a beautiful farming area.

Southwest of Ann Arbor



Downtown Detroit Murals



The John R. King Used and Rare Book Store.

I wondered why a giant glove was painted on the side of this bookstore. The bookstore’s website explains that it was “formerly the Advance Glove Factory, which operated from the 1940s to the 1970s. After the factory was shut down, it sat vacant until Mr. King purchased it in 1983.”  (link)

Architectural details resemble murals on this building.
This area is around 45 minutes of driving in the opposite direction from the barns and farmland.

In Our Neighborhood

As we took a walk we heard some classic rock music. This Co-op was having a concert on the porch.


I feel as if my life this week has been in two places: one at the Olympics and also at home in Michigan.
So I have two posts to share with Deb’s Sunday Salon, this one today, and one Friday.
Also shared with Sami’s Murals.
Photos © 2024 mae sander.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I like classic rock, looks like a nice concert.
Tomatoes, Basil and cheese is yummy.
Love the barns and mural photos.
Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!

Jeanie said...

I love that the concert could be outside. What a great group of photos and road trips, too. I have to get to the King bookstore someday.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you for sharing your food and your travels. I haven't been anywhere or done anything like this. Sure is good too see your photos!

Helen's Book Blog said...

What a lovely series of photos. That plate of tomatoes and basil is particularly wonderful. Have a great week!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Those beautiful tomatoes! I can just imagine how delicious they were with your homegrown basil.

I'd love to see inside that bookstore. I wonder if it takes up the whole building. It would be fun to visit there.

Jim said...

Wonderful.

Jenni Elyse said...

Those tomatoes look delicious! :D I love market produce.

Divers and Sundry said...

Urban and rural are definitely a contrast. I know what you mean about the Olympics. It's been a wild ride!

JoAnn said...

I would have love to wander past a concert on that porch! There's nothing like fresh tomatoes - delicious!!

GreenComotion said...

Those murals are fantastic with both passenger and military fighter planes. In the picture of the billboard, I read the caption as, "Best con actors and Best Electricians" at first, before noticing the utility pole had hidden the letter "t" in the word, "contractors". Silly? Oh yes, but I got a laugh out of it :)

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Just drop me off at that bookstore and come back for me at the end of the day. Have the plate of tomatoes ready cuz I'll be hungry. Those houses in your neighborhood are glorious.

Bertiebo said...

I'm not very fond of planes, but I think that mural is very well done. For me it would be 'one way' to the used and rare books 'factory'

Sami said...

Interesting mural with the planes. Your tomato salad looks delicious. How lovely to have neighbourhood concerts. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Lydia C. Lee said...

I love the Warrior!! Fun....and the second mural is a copy in style of a famous artist but I can't place it...someone in the 20s maybe? That's going to bug me and i don't know how tofind it....Lovely stuff. #MuralMondays

Mae Travels said...

@Lydia C. Lee — The mural that says “Detroit Tigers” is only partly shown in my photo. There is some similarity to the style of Romare Bearden (1911-1988) but I don’t know if he’s the one you have in mind. Detroit has many murals including others that are somewhat like this…. mae