Friday, August 09, 2024

Another week of Beautiful Olympic Contests

Paris: a Perfect Place for Sports!



Watching the Olympics, I’ve been especially appreciative of the splendid settings created in Paris and many other French locations for the numerous sports. I've at least briefly watched surfing in Polynesia, sailing in the Mediterranean, equestrian events in the gardens of Versailles, fencing in the Grand Palais, cycling past the Louvre, swimming in the Seine (oops, pollution problems there), outdoor sports near the Eiffel Tower, and wonderful indoor facilities for gymnastics. Here are a few photos -- mainly from news sources with a few from my TV screen.

I once went to a book fair in the Grand Palais, which was built for the 1900 Paris Exposition.
Now — having been refurbished for the Olympics — it’s an incredible indoor sports arena.

Triathlon competitors diving into the Seine near my favorite Paris bridge: Pont Alexandre III.

Simone Biles at the Bercy Arena in Paris, which was built in 1984.

From the Guardian: Olympic images projected on walls.

Throughout Paris, the Olympic images are being posted on walls in all sorts of places. See this photo essay for some wonderful pictures:  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2024/aug/07/paris-olympics-2024-projecting-the-light-fantastique-in-pictures

Events in other parts of France

Surfing in Tahiti

Caroline Marks from the United States won the women’s surfing gold medal on Monday
at the Paris Olympics in Tahiti. (source)

Sailing Races Near Marseilles


Catamaran racing.

Kite surfing.

An Amazing Course for Kayaks: Vaires-sur-Marne Nautical Stadium

Noemi Fox, Australian Kayaking Champion at the unbelievable rapids built for the games.

An Equestrian Space Fit for a King

Riding events on the grounds of the Chateau de Versailles:
“It was a day of mixed emotions for the Australian Equestrian Team in the cross-country phase
of the Eventing competition.” (
source)

The Bears of Les Goblins Watched the Cycling Race

During my very brief stay in Paris in May, I discovered the teddybears (nounours) who inhabit the area
around the Goblins Metro stop in this photo. Evidently, they watched Olympic cycling.
Photos are from the Instagram site “Les nounours des goblins.”



Another interesting detail: Emotional Support Dog for Gymnasts

During Olympic training in California: Simone Biles with Beacon the emotional support dog.
“Beacon, the four-year-old golden retriever has been trotting around with America’s best and brightest
gymnasts for the past year with the aim of helping keep their serotonin and stress levels in check.” (
source)

I feel as if my life this week has been in two places: one at the Olympics and also at home in Michigan.
So I have two posts to share with Deb’s Sunday Salon, this one and one more tomorrow. 
Also shared with Eileen’s Critters.
Photos from news sources and from my TV

25 comments:

Jeanie said...

I've recorded a lot and will get on it this week or next. I love seeing the spots I know! Memories.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glued to the Olympics. I eat it all up and am enjoying the multi-screen view Peacock is offering.

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you have enjoyed the games, they have really composed some wonderful events in fantatsic surroundings- Enjoy! Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

The Seine-scene made me sad... "We" should take better care of Mother Earth... enjoy watching anyways!

Helen's Book Blog said...

Paris really has been a beautiful setting for the Olympics with stunning backgrounds for the bicycling, running, open swims, triathlons, etc. All very fun.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Paris and the other backdrops for the events are the perfect settings for the Olympics; I completely agree. It is as if Paris has been compiled, building by building, and outdoor area by outdoor area, over the centuries for this very moment.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Paris is a beautiful setting for the Olympics. What a nice collection of critters too, the horses in the riding events are special. The Teddy bears are so cute. I love the Golden Retriever Beacon with Simone Biles. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's been a busy week and I appreciate you sharing some of the highlights! Enjoy your weekend.

thathappyreader said...

I’ve been watching hours of the Olympics as I’ve always been a big fan. Loved your photos! Have you seen the photo of the surfer with a whale breaching in the background? Have a great weekend.

Bill said...

Such a beautiful place Paris is. You got a fine collection of images, my favourite is the Golden Retriever Beacon with Simone Biles.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

We are glued to the set watching the Olympics. Paris is such a fabulous setting. Thanks for sharing all these great photos. The one with the Eiffel Tower in the background says it all!

Cindy said...

We are trying to catch up on all the Olympic sports we haven't had time to watch before they are gone! Have a great weekend!

Joy said...

Paris proved to be a beautiful setting for the Olympics! I caught a little of the sailing on the Mediterranean, too. Fun!

GreenComotion said...

Happy to see many scenes from the Olympics through your lens, Mae.
Thanks for sharing with all of us. Be well!

thecuecard said...

Wonderful post & tribute to the Paris Olympics. I have loved watching the sports and the scenery for the past 2 weeks! It's been an awesome event.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I love your collection of photos. I wish I could have attended the Olympics in Paris. The setting, Wow!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Mae :)
You are so lucky to be able to see deer where you live. My joy and enthusiasm came from never having seen one. Your photos are all spectacular. Paris is one of my favourite cities and it did the Olympics proud. I watched many events with my grandson and enjoyed it very much. Great photo of Simone Biles and her beautiful dog.
All the best
Sonjia.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I never could figure out how to see what I wanted to see on Peacock so I ended up not watching any of the Olympics except for whatever random events popped up on my Tiktok, so I have enjoyed scrolling through the gorgeous photos you posted here.

Jenn Jilks said...

It sure has been entertaining!

Vicki said...

Great photos! I especially love the dog and bear.

Jenni Elyse said...

I haven't watched any of the Olympics. I seen a lot of pictures, though, and memes. I'm glad you enjoyed it. My husband tried to watch the sailing, but we couldn't get it where we were at and having a VPN didn't help. Have a great week!

My Sunday Post

My name is Erika. said...

You have some great photos today. I didn't know there was a sailing race. Those are great photos. And I liked Beacon a lot too. Dogs do so many good things for people. Have a great start to the new week-hugs-Erika

Shiju Sugunan said...

Paris is beautiful! The surfing shot is stunning.

Literary Feline said...

I really enjoyed watching some of the Olympic events these past two weeks. Paris is such a beautiful city. Someday I wouldn't mind visiting and seeing it all in person. Thank you for sharing!

Rachel @Waves of Fiction said...

What wonderful locations for the Olympic events! I would especially like to have seen the equestrian events at Versailles in person!