Monday, July 01, 2024

Madame Bovary and Paris in July

What I think of when I think of Paris: fabulous pastry for breakfast!
This photo is from my interrupted trip to France at the end of May.

Paris in July is a big bloggers’ party that has been ongoing for a number of years; 2014 was the first year that I participated. I had been reading other bloggers’ posts for a few years before that. Now it’s time again, and this year the organizer is Emma at Words and Peace: her introductory organizing post will kick things off July 1. 


Although the event is called “Paris in July” any French topic is gladly accepted, including posts about books, food, films, travel, or any other topic about France, French literature, French cuisine, or whatever topic appeals to the writer. Many people plan what they will be reading and writing about, but that’s not my habit. Several book bloggers are reading Madame Bovary in French as part of this celebration of all things French. I didn’t have the courage to tackle this book in French, but last week I read it in translation.


The window of a wine shop. Paris, May, 2024.



Reading Madame Bovary

The number of covers for editions of Madame Bovary is amazing.


Since its publication in 1856, Madame Bovary must have been reviewed thousands of times. So why should I have the nerve to add anything? It’s been many years since I read it for the first time, and I remembered quite a few details as I just reread it. What impressed me is how Flaubert was so detailed in his observations of the life of this woman, who simultaneously ordinary and extraordinary. His tiny observations added up to her vanity, her shallowness, her desperation to be released from boredom, and her wish to feel passion and to be admired. Above all I was amazed at the level of detail with which he described her final agony and death, followed by her funeral. 

Blog post and photos © 2024 mae sander

 

10 comments:

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I haven't read Madame Bovary, but have watched a movie based on the book.

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember reading Madame Bovary. I was In high school, and I admit I'd get more out of it now, but it was eye-opening at the time.

I'm watching the France-Belgium game right now. Go, France!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

wow, you start with a bang, with these awesome pictures of plenty! I guess I'm going to get super hungry this month lol.
Hmm, some nice spoiler here for Madame Bovary, but anyway, it's a French book, so all readers should know it never ends well, lol.
I do enjoy the level of details in all major French classic authors: Flaubert, Balzac, Stendhal, Zola.
Have fun!

Mae Travels said...

Hi Emma,
I guess the difference between our two posts is that my spoiler is in English. The quote you gave about Madame Bovary had these words: “Dans chacune de ses phrases, Flaubert a versé une dose de cet arsenic dont Emma Bovary s’empoisonne…” — also a spoiler? So much has been written about the book that I didn’t see how the ending could be unrevealed.
mae

sherry fundin said...

Now I'm hungry and a bit thirsty. LOL I don't think I've read Madame Bovary.
sherry @ fundinmental

Jeanie said...

Ths is the first year since it started I haven't done Paris in July. I didn't even know it was coming till someone else mentioned it. but I'll enjoy seeing the posts!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I read Madame Bovary in high school, and I remember most feeling great compassion for Emma. I remember feeling like I wanted to be freer in my life than Emma, to do things, to explore the world, to meet people. Looking back, I'm glad I read this book when I was young; for me, it was a cautionary tale.

Little Wandering Wren said...

I just had a wonderful three weeks in France, enjoying croissants every day, going to art galleries, and admiring medieval buildings. It's such a wonderful country, isn't it? I have yet to read the book in either language, but you are inspiring me to do so!
Wren x

Marg said...

I love this time of the blogging year!! Happy Paris in July!

My name is Erika. said...

Those pastries are making me hungry. And isn't looking at book covers and how they vary always fun? hugs-Erika