Monday, July 15, 2024

Weekend Dining

 Saturday Lunch


Watching the sushi chef’s knife skills.

We like to sit the bar and look at the many interesting bottles.

Culinary Historians of Ann Arbor Summer Dinner

Members of the CHAA gathered at 4 PM Sunday for a celebration of wedding customs around the world.
Some of us brought food that is a family or community tradition, while others found special dishes
from cuisines around the world that are often served at weddings. Around 18 people attended the dinner.

Pancit, a cold noodle dish from the Philippines, was served at a family wedding of one member.

This was my contribution, suggested by Phil, who was organizing the menu.

Sicilian Caponata: a traditional wedding menu item.

Danish Meatballs.

Polish pork roast with prunes and traditional vegetable salad.

“City Chicken” — during the Depression, families who couldn’t afford chicken used pork instead.
Everyone finds it ironic that pork and even veal were once cheaper than chicken.

The table was decorated with a few “wedding” gifts.

The drinks table — the venue doesn’t have a liquor license so no wine!

On the dessert table: beautiful fruit with a creamy dip.

Chinese sesame cookies and Mexican wedding cookies.

A blueberry clafoutis, said by the person who brought it to be traditional for French weddings.
(I’m not sure about this.)

We always enjoy meeting new people at the CHAA dinners, and also enjoy seeing how a variety of people interpret the theme of the dinner. All photos © 2024 by mae sander for maefood dot blogspot.com.

16 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy. I was hungry before. Now I am "starving" - what a wonderful buffet and idea!

Divers and Sundry said...

Ooo! Everything looks delicious and so well presented!

Jeanie said...

Your culinary historians dinners always look wonderful! If I lived in A2, you'd find another member!

eileeninmd said...

Everything looks delicious, a wonderful dinner!
Take care, have a wonderful week!

Vagabonde said...

Everything looks so yummy!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Are those lobster tails at Slurping Turtle? That is some feast. Loved seeing the bottles in the background, too.

I really LOVE this theme of your CHAA meal. I've had both Chinese sesame cookies and Mexican wedding cookies, but many of the other things I've never heard of. It was nice that it didn't pertain to a certain region or era this time. Thanks for making me hungry and thanks for sharing all these foods and drinks with us for T this week, dear friend. I appreciate you.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, it all looks so yummy! I'd like to try a bit of everything, but I'll have to dream of it instead as it's late here in the UK so I'm off to bed ☺️. Wishing you a very happy 11th Anniversay T Day! Hugs, Jo x

Mae Travels said...

The two sushi on one plate are shrimp sushi, not lobster — I guess it’s hard to see what the size would be. So they are around 2 bites, like the other sushi.
best, mae

Halle said...

You had me with sushi...has to be one of my favorite things!
Happy T day!

Anne in the kitchen said...

The themed dinner party is a lovely idea!

My name is Erika. said...

There is so much yummy food in this post. Your Slupring Turtle lunch looks yummy. And I love seeing all the various wedding foods too. I wonder if they can only be eaten for wedding feasts or if people eat them at other times too. Have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

What a fun (and delicious!) way to learn about traditional wedding foods!

CJ Kennedy said...

Everything looks so amazing! I especially like the name of the restaurant Slurping Turtle. Happy T Day!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a beautiful and interesting culinary feast! Everything looks delicious and I like the variety of all the ethnic diversity.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This all goes to prove that food is indeed a glorious part of life!

Lisca said...

Oh what lovely food! It's giving me an appetite. I like it that hey have a different theme every time and this wedding theme is really great.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca