Saturday, April 20, 2024

For Valerie-Jael

Valerie-Jael at the blog Bastelmania often posts photos of the ephemeral chalk drawings by Ann Arbor artist David Zinn. As I live in Ann Arbor, I’ve managed to see a few of these drawings in the thirty-odd years that he’s been providing them for the entertainment of our city. During these years, he was also pursuing a career as a cartoonist, illustrator, and commercial artist. However, as the drawings are mainly made in chalk, they don’t last very long.

In 2014, David Zinn painted a magnificent — and long-lasting — mural on the wall of a downtown parking garage, depicting Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain. Here it is, as I recently saw it while walking up Fourth Street:

Gene Kelly and the lamppost, singing in the rain. I’ve showed it before, but I want Valerie-Jael to see it again.

As always with David Zinn’s work, there’s a tricky part. The lamppost is not where it seems to be.

Here’s my brother Arny with Gene Kelly and the lamppost: showing how it really is.

From David Zinn’s website: the artist chalking one of his more typical works.

David Zinn says of himself: “David Zinn has been creating original artwork in and around Ann Arbor, Michigan since 1987. For more than twenty years, he freelanced for a wide variety of commercial clients while simultaneously sneaking “pointless” art into the world at large. … David’s temporary street drawings are composed entirely of chalk, charcoal and found objects, and are always improvised on location through a process known (to almost no one) as ‘ephemeral pareidolic anamorphosis.’”

Blog post © 2024 mae sander 


19 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks so much,Mae, I enjoyed your post so much, and feel very honoured that you made this special post for me. Your brother did a great Gene Kelly imitation, too. I will definitely treasure this post. Have a great weekend, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks so much,Mae, I enjoyed your post so much, and feel very honoured that you made this special post for me. Your brother did a great Gene Kelly imitation, too. I will definitely treasure this post. Have a great weekend, Valerie

Boud said...

I love David Zinn and his vision, and post his images now and then. His animals on sidewalks and in walls are wonderful. Thank you for posting a picture of the artist.

Boud said...

Also thank you for introducing Valerie-Jael to me. I'm now following her joyful blog!

Jeanie said...

I've always loved Zinn's drawings but I never knew he was from A2 and I CERTAINLY never saw that mural (from one of my all-time favorite movies!). Thanks for this!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

What a fantastic artist! I thank you for sharing this artist with us. There's something I especially like about art that is available for everyone to see.

My name is Erika. said...

That's a really fun mural. When I learned Zinn was from Ann Arbor I wondered if you had ever seen any of his art. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Yes, David Zinn is pretty amazing.

stardust said...

Thank you for introducing David Zinn who I didn’t know till now. The mural is marvelous and so is his chalk work. Both look 3D. Your brother did a good job posing nicely. Thank you for your visit and a lovely comment.
Yoko

Iris Flavia said...

Wonderful mural and, oh, didn´t know Zinn´s work was but chalk, how sad!!!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Zinn's work is always mesmerizing. I love this Gene Kelly mural.

kwarkito said...

Voilà un travail fort intéressant. j'adore l'effet de perspective avec le lampadaire.

GreenComotion said...

Yowza - the 3-D effect is stunning!
Thanks for sharing with all of us. Be well!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a dramatic 3-D effect/ Love it.

Bertiebo said...

Very nice painting!! Gene Kelly and your brother: fantastic photo

Sami said...

Wow, what a fabulous mural. Great artist.
Love how the post appears to be in the mural, but is not!
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Klara said...

sweet! still in such a good condition.

dee Nambiar said...

That's a wonderful mural. I love how you worked the lamppost into the photograph. The chalk- art is also very cute.
Thank you for sharing these sights with us. :)

Sherry's Pickings said...

I love David Zinn's work and it often comes up on my facebook feed. He is so clever!