Saturday, February 05, 2022

What I did while the snow was falling or not falling

My cart at Trader Joe's: note the delicious jelly candy along with healthy lettuce and tofu.

Monday of this week the weather reports threatened us with a terrible storm, expected Wednesday. I decided to go to Trader Joe's and stock up my kitchen before the crowds that always descend on all shopping venues one day in advance of a big snowfall. There were plenty of other shoppers (almost all masked) but not overwhelming numbers, and the shelves had everything I wanted. 

The quite well-stocked produce and dairy shelves at TJ's.

I think the markets really did get crowded on Tuesday, but as the weather was still clear, we finally (after many months) went to the appliance store and ordered a replacement for our over-the-range microwave oven, which stopped working exactly a year ago. As soon as I had shopped, we started eating the goodies from TJ's.

Lunch Tuesday: strawberries and yogurt from Trader Joe's.

Dinner Tuesday: mushroom pancakes testing out my new griddle.
It works perfectly!

Wednesday was the scheduled storm. Indeed, in its wake the the snow and wind left many people across the South and the Midwest stranded and without electricity, but we had only a modest amount of snow and it was no big deal. 

Frost on our window: it's really rather cold outside!

Thursday we acted as if we were shut in, but that was in fact our own choice. All week, I spent most of the time reading, and writing blog reviews of the books I read: Tucci's Taste was the most exciting. Friday, I started reading Nose Dive by Harold McGee. It's a challenging book full of chemistry diagrams, but I'm persisting.

Friday the new microwave installation took place. In our house, any installation is fraught with uncertainty, but this time there were no obstacles. (We hired our favorite contractor, not the installer sent by the appliance store!)

The new microwave oven, installed.

Saturday morning we tested the new microwave by making oatmeal. Yay! It works. A year ago, when we bought a countertop microwave oven as a temporary replacement for the over-the-range one that stopped working, we did the same thing. The countertop oven was a space hog!

The space-hog countertop oven one year ago.

Back to normal: here's the freed-up space in use by the crock pot, making stock from a TJ's chicken.
The countertop oven occupied the space for a year. Today is a good day!

Blog post and all photos © 2021,2022,  mae sander.

26 comments:

Jackie McGuinness said...

Looks like we have the same OTR microwave. We need to think about replacing some appliances.

Anne in the kitchen said...

The photo of the frost on the window is gorgeous!
Glad you were able to get a new microwave. I use mine all the time and could no go for a kong period without it.
I also thank you for the griddle review. I have been seriously thinking about getting one.

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoy fresh fruit with my yoghurt, too. I have blueberries right now. Our countertop oven is a space hog, but I won't part with it for love or money lol

I'm glad you didn't get a bad storm.

Harvee said...

You did a lot during the storm. We went shopping too in a lull and a sunny morning inbetween snow.

Cindy said...

The frost on the window is gorgeous. Snow days for staying in (even by choice) are fun!

My name is Erika. said...

My husband went to Trader Joe's yesterday and said there were a fair amount of bare shelves. he asked about it and was told that they've had this problem for a few weeks now. I suppose it depends where you are on the supply chain, but glad you found what you wanted.

Phil Slade said...

Strawberries are a good bet during snow storms! Ours have to come from Spain at this time of year. Normally I don't shop but having been denied many of the normalities of life for two years, I don't mind a trip to the shops.

Gretchen said...

I'm glad you were able to get supplies before it got busy and the storm hit. We also had our over the stove microwave go out. We thought about trying to get by without a new one, but that didn't last long. Appliances don't last like they used to. Have a great week!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The Trader Joe's here is always crowded. I read a good time to shop there is between 8-10am. I love strawberries on top of my yogurt, yum. We are hoping to have a warmer week coming up. The new microwave looks nice, I wish mine was not on the countertop. Have a great day!

DVArtist said...

Nice there were not a lot of people in the store yet. Lot's of goodness there. Yes, the on the counter Micro takes up way too much space. I have no choice though. Have a great day today

Penelope Notes said...

A very cozy look at your home where an invite to enjoy those mushroom pancakes would be a dreamy delight.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Our weather has been a combination of cold, windy, freezing rain etc so we've been indoors a lot. I love Trader Joes but, it is 40 minutes one way so I only go about every 6 weeks to stock up. Hoping to get there this week or next. Have a good week Mae.

Amy said...

I really like your crockpot, I use to have one just like it, in winter it's a very valuable piece of my kitchen equipment.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love shopping at Trader Joe's but I don't go very often because It takes me 35 minutes if there is no traffic to get to one. I go about once every 5 weeks and have found food in Whole Foods and Aldi's that I substitute .

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I don't have room for my microwave on my kitchen counter. It's in my pantry and I call the pantry my kitchen, because I'm far better at microwave cooking than any other appliance.

Your ice on the window was gorgeous. Strange how there is so much beauty in something so potentially deadly. Glad the worst of Landon missed you.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

What will you do with the countertop microwave? Glad the snow was not as bad as elsewhere.

Marg said...

I've never seen a microwave installled like that! We often have them underbench here but we are just going to have it in our butlers pantry in the new kitchen.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've never been to Trader Joe's (Is there even a TJ's in Houston? I shall look...yes, there are five...how about that!)

We don't know how to function when temps are below freezing here. Our homes aren't made for the cold and our cars are not equipped. Everything just shuts down.

Those mushroom pancakes!

Trin Carl said...

I recognized that Trader Joe's immediately. I guess I didn't know all of the TJ's had similar lay-outs. I like to get their organic yogurt, samosas and a few of their treats. I like the idea of a crock pot but still haven't used one fully. Maybe I'll get some ideas with your posts.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Oh wow! That's a very nice and roomy Trader Joe's! All the ones I've ever been in are older ones and they are tiny and cramped with barely room to move your cart around.

Getting that space hog off the counter must be a relief and that was smart of you to use your own tried & true contractor to install the new microwave.

The griddle looks fun!

Heather G. said...

That is a big happy this week! Congrats on your new microwave. Tucci's Taste has been on my list. Glad the storm didn't hit you too badly. I love that pic of the ice crystals! We had one night of of an ice storm last week and then it's been nothing but sunny and cold in my neck of the woods. Hope the weather stays clear.

Enjoy your week!

JoAnn said...

We finally have a Trader Joe's fairly near us that opened during the pandemic, but I still haven't shopped there... thanks for reminding me. Taste was one of my favorite audiobooks last year!

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm happy you are happy!
We hired a pro too. We couldn't even lift it high enough!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I am so glad you made it to the stores to get your food and microwave before the storm hit. I can't help it -- I love snow days! My Sunday Salon post

Lory said...

Oh boy, I miss Trader Joe's! It was always a bit of a trip to get there so I would stock up, snow or no snow. Along with my family, I think it's going to be one of my priorities to visit one next time I can get to the US (whenever that may be)...

Jeanie said...

I love Stanley Tucci.

Your backsplash is fabulous and so glad the micro is in place and working like a charm!