Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Ugly Delicious Discovers Indian Food



We are watching the new season of Ugly Delicious with David Chang, which was released by Netflix last week. In the first episode, he documents his wife's pregnancy and the birth of his new son. Needless to say, they were the first humans ever to experience this amazing process, or at least that would be your impression if you didn't have other ideas of your own. There were some amusing scenes with babies eating Chang's gourmet baby food experiments, otherwise this episode is a bit hard to take.

In the second episode, Chang discovers Indian food, with help from Padma Lakshmi, Madhur Jaffrey, and several food critics, restaurateurs, and others. He visits restaurants and street-food stalls in New York and India, interviews a number of people, and is overall awe-struck by how delicious everything is even if it's sometimes ugly. The contrast between Indian home cooking and restaurant cooking is emphasized with visits to several families in New York and in North Carolina.

Despite my sarcastic view of his ego, I enjoyed the episode pretty much, and I'm including a few screen shots to show you what I liked.

Madhur Jaffrey interviewed for the show. She's now 86 years old, and has
had a stunning career as a film star, cookbook writer, and memoirist.
Just a few seconds showing Madhur Jaffrey on her BBC food show in the 1970s. 
Street food in India is featured in Chang's travel tales.
We see lots of Indian restaurant food in both New York and India.
Lots and lots of exotic dishes and unfamiliar spices.

Reading More about Indian Food

Curry: A Tale of Cooks & Conquerors
If you would like to know more about the global history of Indian food, I would recommend the book Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors by Lizzie Collingham, which I have written about before (link). Collingham provides details about a number of places where curry has been adopted into non-Indian cuisines, a topic that Chang touches on very briefly in the episode of Ugly Delicious.

I would also recommend a fascinating article about butter chicken, an Indian restaurant dish that's very popular in both India and the Indian diaspora in the English-speaking world. "Butter Chicken: Even When It’s Bad, It’s Good!" by Sho Spaeth was published in Serious Eats last week, at just about the same time as the new episodes of Ugly Delicious were released.

Spaeth credits the chef, Kundan Lal, at the restaurant Modi Mahal in Delhi, India with the invention of butter chicken. After describing this dish as "tender chunks of chicken meat swimming in a mildly spiced tomato-based sauce, enriched with enough butter and cream to suggest the cook who made it loves you," he continues with some research into its invention:
"Moti Mahal is no longer a single restaurant; rather, it is an international chain, with outposts all over the world. But the original Moti Mahal, located in the Daryaganj neighborhood of Delhi, is still open today, still serving the same murgh makhani—that is, butter chicken—that Gujral created in the late 1940s."
Monish Gujral, Kundan Lal's grandson wrote a book about his grandfather's invention. According to Spaeth, Gujral credits Lal not only with the innovation of cooking chicken in a tandoori oven, but also:
"In the process of creating tandoori chicken, simply by using an oven traditionally used for bread to cook meat, Kundan Lal created the entire category of tandoori cooking, which Gujral suggests is the equivalent of creating an entire cuisine."
Despite my criticisms, and despite my belief that there are much better places to learn about food, I find Ugly Delicious and David Chang to be very enjoyable and will be watching the other episodes soon!

This review is written for maefood dot blog spot dot com, © 2020 mae sander. 

15 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not familiar with Ugly Delicious but might need to explore it.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh me too! Thanks for the heads up Mae, will definitely have a look for Ugly Delicious on Netflix. I seriously think everyone, when having a baby, thinks they are the only one who has experienced childbirth 😀

Kitchen Riffs said...

Wow, hard to believe Madhur Jaffrey is 86! At least that was my first reaction -- thinking about it, it's not hard to believe at all. One of her cookbooks was the first Indian cookbook I purchased (this is from a BBC cooking show she did). It's still the best Indian cookbook I have. When I worked in NYC, my wife and I would sometimes stay late in the city and eat at her restaurant in the upper East Side. Anyway, we don't watch TV that much, so I had no idea this program was on. I liked Chang's first cookbook, a lot -- not so much for the recipes (which are all quite good, at least the ones I made) -- but for the way he thinks about cooking. Really fun post -- thanks.

Angie's Recipes said...

Don't know about Ugly Delicious, but I am going to check it out. Thanks, Mae, for the review.

Jeanie said...

I know what you mean about the ego, but this does sound kind of fun. Thanks -- it might go on my watchlist!

Catalyst said...

I used to say about the television news anchormen I worked with that if they didn't have those big egos they wouldn't be able to do the work. I think the same is true of chefs. I like David Chang in spite of his vocabulary.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

We don't watch his show and from your criticism I don't think I will start. But, I do love butter chicken so thank you for sharing the history of the dish.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I haven't watched this show yet- I'll have to put it on my list. I love Indian food but have a very limited repertoire of Indian recipes.

jama said...

Will have to take a look at Ugly Delicious. Appreciate your candid observations. Love Indian food!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I adore Madhur Jaffrey and own several of her books. I haven't watched the show yet but this episode looks right up my alley as Indian food is a favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Beth F said...

I haven't seen this show but I''m aware of it.

Claudia said...

Don't watch much TV, but I do love Indian cooking and have several cookbooks on the food. My favorite of world cuisines!

Carole said...

Fun! Cheers and stay safe

Marg said...

We love a good butter chicken, and the leftovers make an awesome pizza with red onion and baby spinach!

Natasha said...

I'm glad you find Indian food interesting. There is so much more to it than butter chicken and tikka masala. We have different variants from different states.

In West for instant we have this finger licking delicious mustard fish curry. And then there are so many others.

I found your blog post extremely well researched and interesting. So happy you joined Esha and my #WordlessWednesday blog hop. Wego live again this evening. Join in.

:)
Natasha
https://natashamusing.com/2020/03/love-in-the-times-of-corona-wordlesswednesday-wednesdaywisdom-yeahwritenonfiction/