Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Hoarding in advance of the coming plague

Source: CDC website.
According to this map from the CDC, updated today, March 10, the state where I live, Michigan, has not reported any cases of the corona virus that is threatening the world. [Update March 11: Michigan has now identified two cases of corona virus.]

Nevertheless, warnings bombard us. Perhaps as in New Rochelle, NY this afternoon, Michigan residents may be told to stay indoors to protect themselves as well as to reduce the speed of transmission of the disease. Perhaps we'll be too sick to go out and all the delivery services will cease to function. Perhaps our imaginations will run away and our fears will become even more overblown.

Unfortunately, advice-giving pundits have no real scenario for the situation that is most likely. Instead of trying to figure out something relevant, they are reproducing advice for preparation for storms, wars, unanticipated power shut-downs, and a variety of doomsday possibilities. An example is USA Today, which began with some semi-sensible advice, and continued by telling you to have a "Disaster Kit" with drinking water, flashlights, a hand-crank radio, matches, blankets, and so on. They discussed possibilities up to and including the need for fleeing to somewhere else. Even though they said these preparations were for other emergencies, they were clearly trying to create, not alleviate, the panic! (Link)

Fortunately, there's always someone who has a less gloomy view. I received the following from a friend in England who said the origin was in Bangalore --
The English are feeling the pinch in relation to the recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “miffed” to “peeved”. Soon, though, the level may be raised yet again to “irritated” or even “a bit cross”. They have not been “a bit cross” since the Blitz in 1940 when supplies of tea nearly ran out. The virus has been re-categorized from “tiresome” to a “damned nuisance”. The last time the British issued a “damned nuisance” warning level was in 1588 when threatened by the Spanish Armada.
Back to the gloomy present in the United States. Large numbers of people are stocking up their homes with medications, hand sanitizers, contagion-stopping gauze masks, toilet paper, and other seemingly relevant things. This behavior is occurring worldwide: almost every news source notes that in Australia, actual violence has occurred between women in supermarkets competing to buy depleted supplies of toilet paper, and has discussed the response of various governments wanting to ensure that hospitals will have surgical masks and that panic-driven shoppers don't buy all the pasta. The state of New York has put convicts to work in prison factories to make hand sanitizer for the government. A variety of rumors even discuss making your own hand sanitizer, though vodka isn't evidently the way to go: it's not high enough in alcohol.

People are also stockpiling food and other things:
"... the prospect of extended confinement at home has sent people scrambling for other items. Oat milk has become a hot commodity due to its longer shelf life than dairy-based products, suvivalist gear popularized on the National Geographic show 'Doomsday Preppers' is in demand and Hostess Brands Inc. reports sales of their famously indestructible snack, the Twinkie, are soaring." (Bloomsberg News, March 10, 2020)
The Bloomsberg News article title is: "Why Rational People Are Panic Buying as Coronavirus Spreads," but I can't really see any rational explanations for much of the behavior that's documented here. In fact, the article is mostly a discussion of the desperation most people feel to be in control of their circumstances:
"Psychologists view control as a fundamental human need. With a disease that’s highly infectious and can turn deadly, this epidemic violates a sense of control in fundamental ways. Unless policy makers can find a way to restore that feeling, the cycle of panic buying, hoarding and scarcity only stands to escalate."

Stacks of toilet paper for sale at Costco last week.
Some people make themselves feel more in control by buying things they will probably never use. Some people are simply taking advantage and buying up things they can resell on e-bay or amazon and make unconscionable profits. Some of course are trying to be rational -- toilet paper may be more rational since you won't have to throw it out in 6 months. Presumably, you'll keep using it as long as you live, and anyway, you really don't want to be without it in case of whatever part of the projected apocalypse you are worried about.I understand how hard it is to resist panic.

I'm completely convinced that the electricity and water supplies will not be interrupted by an outbreak of coronavirus, but I see that one might need to stay indoors, and that market access might become difficult. Personally, I have laid in a higher-than-usual supply of a few shelf-stable foods and frozen foods, such as boxed soup, crackers, canned tuna, and cookies.

And of course I bought toilet paper when I went to Costco. In fact, there were mountains of toilet paper available there but they told me that they had been out for 4 days last week, and that a truckload had just arrived the day I happened to shop there. Don't panic!

My father told us a story that I'm thinking about now. During World War I, he was a young child. His native village in what's now the country of Belarus was in the path of the German army that was about to invade Russia. The people of the village knew it was going to be a difficult winter (I think it was in 1914 or 1915). Food supplies were always scarce as the winter went on in these very primitive villages. His mother, he told us, wanted to be prepared for the coming troubles, so she filled up part of their house with potatoes and built a wall to hide them. This seems to have kept them from starvation. Eventually, they were evacuated to some type of refugee camp to be out of the battleground. That's all I know. Things could be worse. Actually, things did get much worse: the Nazi armies arrived in 1941, and 1942 all the Jews remaining in the village were slaughtered. Fortunately, by that time my father had been in the US for many years, though his relatives weren't all survivors.

Blog post copyright © 2020 mae sander for maefood dot blog spot dot com.

21 comments:

Catalyst said...

I love the comments about the English. Probably pretty well true, too.

No real panic here though we have stocked the larder and I bought some more toilet paper when I was in the store yesterday.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

What people who panic buy unnecessarily forget is that there are so many who can’t afford to stockpile. Then when they need a small quantity of toilet paper, a bottle of hand sanitizer, they cannot find it at the nearby store.

I already have toilet paper that I bought several weeks ago. And I usually keep a month’s supply of food etc, so I didn’t bother to buy more. What we should try to avoid is crowded areas. There are several cases of CoronaVirus in FL, and one in our county. I’m not worried, but takes precautions and try to avoid crowds. 😊

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

That's tragic about your family who didn't survive the Shoa. The virus panic had caused all our dust masks to be sold out, leaving my customers who need them for work in the lurch. I hope you won't be affected by it.

Angie's Recipes said...

I haven't stocked anything yet..wait, yesterday I did buy a couple of bottles of disinfection spray..the only thing I have been doing more frequent is to wash my hands.
Take care of yourself, Mae!

Iris Flavia said...

We even have a case of it here in little Braunschweig, yet I don´t want to hide at home.
Though... hand sanitizers you cannot buy anymore here.
Panic? Not yet, but it sure is scary how fast and far something can travel these days.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Not everyone in Australia is fighting over toilet paper Mae 😉 The press really does pick the most outrageous stories to share. Sometimes, most of the time, it really is good to be living in the world's most isolated city 😀 Let's hope things get back to normal soon, before the economy is totally wrecked ✨

Jeanie said...

From miffed to peeved. I love that! I'm pretty prepared but not hoarding. You can't find hand sanitizer here and I was glad I got Rick a bottle for his table at the trade show (in Massachusetts where their cases doubled yesterday... I wish he wasn't doing this) and some pocket bottles for my purse and car. I have a pretty full fridge/freezer and cupboards just because I made all that pasta sauce last year! I'll get bored but no one will starve. There hasn't been a run on toilet paper or paper towel here yet. When I get back from Canada next week I'll self-quarantine for a bit apart from hitting the market if I need to or scheduled appointments, but avoid theaters, etc. Maybe avoid Rick. That's just because I'm high risk. My other self-quarantine supplies are my meds, craft supplies, books and netflix!

Kitchen Riffs said...

This could be rather a "damned nuisance" (love that quote), but hopefully something considerably less. We actually always buy basic stuff in big quantitiersd, just because we really don't like shopping so it seems easier to stock up several times during the year (it takes years -- probably decades! -- for TP to go bad!). Well written post -- thanks.

bermudaonion said...

I'm concerned but haven't hit panic mode yet. I met a friend yesterday and she said Target was out of wipes completely. She said there was a sign up limiting the number an individual could buy but there were none to be had. I told her I was just in the grocery store and they had a huge display on an end cap and had the wipes on sale and it didn't look like anyone was picking them up. I think the news pieces and restricting purchases is driving up demand.

Sharon said...

My sister lives about 100 miles north of Phoenix in Prescott AZ and she told me yesterday that she had to stop at 3 stores to find toilet paper. She wasn't stock piling, she just needed a normal, every-day supply. I actually haven't shopped yet at all. I guess I better get with it before things disappear. I love your friend in England's comments. I love the English sense of humor.

Story Time said...

Funny that sisters react in the same way. Like Mae,I bought additional shelf-stable groceries, tuna fish, pasta and sauce,crackers, cookies, and soup. Here in West Lafayette, Purdue has declared all classes will be on-line only after spring break so students can remain off campus if they wish, and that there will be no meetings of more than 50 people or any external visitors. They've cancelled remaining convocations for this year. This really is more disturbing than other disease outbreaks, especially since people are contagious before they have symptoms.

Linda said...

I agree that it's about control, or the illusion of control.

That's a dramatic story about your father's family. During the American Civil War, many families in war zones buried food and valuables to keep them from the hungry soldiers who came through.

Mae Travels said...

Thank you to everyone who has shared more stories of how we are preparing for the now-officially-global pandemic. It's especially interesting that comments show similar reactions from such a wide number of places . You represent South Africa, Australia, Germany, and several US states!

best... mae

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Mae,
I was in the supermarket yesterday and a man with a family told me that he had already stocked water, food, medical supplies cleaning supplies and paper goods to last his family for 9 months!
We live in a high rise in Florida with 600 units and I have to use the elevator daily. In Phila I have a house. We are not sure if we should drive back to Phila, because we don't want to fly and we are concerned about sleeping in a hotel, stopping for bathroom stops, and eating along the 2 day drive.

Beth F said...

If we had to stay inside for more than about 3 weeks, those dried beans would start to get boring. -- assuming we would have water and electricity.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Toilet paper hoarding is going on here. There wasn't any soap at Costco this week.
We are self-isolating, for the most part. EVERYTHING is closed in Toronto anyway.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Love the quotes from the English. ;-) We have 2 cases only as of today but then they have tested only 54 people total. My guess is that there are more out there. I have a pretty well-stocked pantry which is good because that's all cleared out here.

Tina said...

Excellent post! Very sad but interesting story about your family.
It’s been a bit crazy here with shelves of toilet paper being emptied rapidly and tensions are getting high all around. Our governor had canceled school for two weeks so I know more people will be out and about, those who can’t leave their younger children alone while they work.
The libraries just announced they are closed the rest of the month.

Claudia said...

My husband's family have a similar story to yours. His grandfather left, perhaps sensing what was coming. Most of the rest of his relatives perished in the camps We've usually got supplies on hand for emergencies, being on an island you do tend to wonder about shipping strikes, etc. And, there's food available in the garden as well.

Marg said...

I've been watching how people act with bemusement. We have our ordinary supplies of things like toilet paper and are just planning to eat out of our pantry. We did buy some extra meat for the freezer but that's about the sum of it.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I don't get the water hoarding- the water supply will not be interrupted.