Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Exigencies: A Poem


How happy is the little Stone 
That rambles in the Road alone, 
And doesn't care about Careers 
And Exigencies never fears— 
Whose Coat of elemental Brown 
A passing Universe put on, 
And independent as the Sun 
Associates or glows alone, 
Fulfilling absolute Decree 
In casual simplicity
— Emily Dickinson

I remember reading this untitled poem in high school. You probably remember it too, if you are old enough to have gone to high school before they modernized poetry classes. I don't know if Emily Dickinson is still in, or if she's out.

I believe the time I read this in high school was my first encounter with the word exigencies. A nice word, but it's a little obscure for every-day use. 

I have never memorized the poem, and when I looked it up, I realized that it was longer than I thought (though in fact it's pretty short). Like all poetry, this one makes me afraid that I'm missing the meanings or failing to grasp the depths. Despite my inadequacy, from time to time I like to think about the little rambling stone and the exigencies that don't frighten it. I'll skip the absolute Decree and the passing Universe, and just take the simplicity.

I hear this poem in my head when I walk on the beach and see the little stones, shells, and bits of seaweed tumbled by the water and scattered on the sand.

This blog post written for Wordy Wednesday at maefood dot blogspot dot com. 
© 2020 mae sander.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Lovely poem and word!

Sharon said...

I hadn't read that poem in a good many years. Thanks for the reminder.

Pam said...

I loved English Lit in school, but don't remember that we read much poetry. Since times were so different back in Dickinson's day, I'm wondering what was really on her mind when she wrote this. And I had to look "exigencies" up, so thanks, Mae! I learned something new today!

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

It's a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing.

Iris Flavia said...

Wow. Embarrassing. I had to look up Exigencies and then it translates "Anforderungen". I hide in a cave now.
We did learn poems. In primary and then it was gone. How sad. How dumb.

Jeanie said...

I always feel like I'm missing the hidden meanings in poems. I'm much more of a "There once was a girl in Nantucket..." kind of poetry interpreter.