Saturday, May 02, 2015

Moroccan Cooking

On the menu last night: Moroccan tagine with beef, prunes, onions, and apples (upper row).
Tomato and bell pepper salad; roasted cauliflower salad; cake topped with fruit (lower row left to right).
Some of the pre-dinner drinks and snacks (actually, everybody
opted for Dubonnet, which was in the fridge when I took the photo.
Ready to serve.

Two of our guests: Linda and Peter.
Cookbooks I used.
The Tagine of Beef with Prunes and Apples was a recipe from Paula Wolfert's Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco. The roast cauliflower recipe was an interpretation of one from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem: I used roast cauliflower, celery, walnuts, and sections of clementines. La Cuisine Juive Maroccaine described a tomato and pepper salad like the one I made. My friend Abby baked the cake -- unfortunately I didn't get her photo this time.

8 comments:

Tina said...

Jerusalem is a good one but I am unfamiliar with the others. Quite a feast!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This looks sumptuous! I have no experience whatsoever with Moroccan cooking, so I'm going to check into getting a book or two on the subject from the library. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a tagine anyway. :-)

Mae Travels said...

Pattie: Before you buy one, be warned... I bought one and prepped it for days according to the instructions, and it broke anyway the first time I tried to use it. See this blog post: http://maefood.blogspot.com/2014/12/tagine-tagine.html

That said, it works fine to make the recipes in an ordinary pan. Good luck if you try them, it's fun!

Cakelaw said...

What a fabulous feast!!! I love the sound of the tagine in particular.

Cakelaw said...

What a fabulous feast!!! I love the sound of the tagine in particular.

Cakelaw said...

What a fabulous feast!!! I love the sound of the tagine in particular.

Geri Saucier said...

What a delicious feast you prepared. Everything looks wonderful.

Jeanie said...

I should look into Moroccan cooking -- whenever I've had it, I always find it so flavorful. Looks delish and fun to make!