Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sticky Toffee Pudding has a history

Today in the Guardian food section: an article about sticky toffee pudding. I ordered it on pub menus a few times in my one longish stay in Cambridge. It's very sweet and sticky indeed, and includes some of my favorite flavors. This cake-with-sauce (remember pudding just means dessert in British English) seemed to be part of the reintroduction of retro desserts into the new and much better English menus we experienced. But now I learn: "as every food nerd will tell you, it was invented in the 1970s by Francis Coulson of the Lake District's Sharrow Bay Hotel." Just like tiramisu, another dish that seemed to go into the eternal past but only goes back partway into the 20th century!

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

I was watching cupcake wars and someone did a cupcake using sticky toffee pudding as part of it. Or maybe chopped... can't remember, but to see the reference twice in about a week is interesting!