Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Unoriginal Whole Foods Salad

Whole_Foods3195

At her blog Months of Edible Celebrations, my Blog Friend Louise is having a picnic. Each person brings -- that is, blogs -- an item, corresponding to a letter of the alphabet, and posts a corresponding blog entry on that item. [Sorry if this was confusing: it's a virtual picnic, based on a kids' game, with bloggers all over the country and maybe further than that.]

I'm not really doing any original cooking and recipe experiments these days, so I volunteered for the most Unpopular letter, and I'm bringing Unoriginal Whole Foods Salad from the Salad Bar. This also gives me the opportunity to talk about Whole Foods Market, one of the places I shop. (Inspiration for my series on shopping came from Blogger Lydia at The Perfect Pantry. This is my Unoriginal month.)

Whole_Foods3197

I love to shop for high-quality cheese, meat, bread, bulk spices, olive oil, and produce at Whole Foods. But in a pinch -- like needing a picnic -- they also offer freshly made sushi, a steam table buffet (which I admit to not trying due to steam-table prejudice), a large prepared foods counter (pricy but very tempting), and a big salad bar: today's source of our imaginary picnic.
Whole_Foods3199 Whole_Foods3203 Whole_Foods3205 Whole_Foods3202

So, to play Louise's picnic alphabet game, I say I'm going on a picnic, and I am bringing the following beautiful and wonderful recipes that have been posted:

A- Almond Joy Pie (Marjie) @ Modern Day Ozzie & Harriet


B- Baked Beans (Kasha) @ Grub and Stuff


C- Chocolate Picnic Cake Janet @ Dying for Chocolate


D- Dutch Funnel Cake (Julie) Sporadic Cook


E- Easy Blender Chicken Pie (Juliana) @ Simple Recipes


F-5 Bean Salad-(Barbara) @ Moveable Feasts


G- Granola Bars (Stephanie) @ Fun Foods on a Budget


H- Herb and Cheese Pasta Salad (Reeni) @ Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice


I- Incredibly Fruity Raspberry Cakes (Tessa) @ Raspberry & Chipotle


J- Jeweled Picnic Bars Rochelle @ Rochelle's Vintage & Frugal Recipes


K- Kaltschale (Cold Fruit Soup) Petra @ Kaffeeklatsch


L- Long Island Lemonade Cocktail (T.W.) @ Culinary Types


M- Mushroom Tart (Cynthia) @ Gherkins & Tomatoes


N- Nut Roast (Johanna) @ Green Gourmet Giraffe


O- Olive Nut Bread (Chaya) @ Chaya's Comfy Cook


P- Pomegranate Mousse Cake (Chef Dennis) @ More Than a Mouthful


Q- Quiche (Chaya) @ Sweet & Savory(also does comfy cook)


R- Raspberry Chocolate Macarons-(Anne) @ Anne's Food


S- Spicy Glazed Shrimp and Veggie Kabobs (Tamara) @ God's Perfect Promises


T- Turkey and Pear wraps w/ Curried Aioli!! (Heather) @ Girl Chef


U - AND now it's up to me. I'm going to Whole Foods, and select my favorites from the salad bar and maybe a package of sushi too:
Whole_Foods3207 Unoriginal, Unimaginative, Uncreative, and giving me Undeserved status in this picnic game --

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

This really is a hoot! We don't have a Whole Foods in Lansing, but I suspect the one I frequent when I do is yours (near Trader Joe's by Barnes & Noble?). I do find them pricey, but often can get things there I can't find elsewhere! Haven't had the unimaginative salads, though!

~~louise~~ said...

Undeserved my foot! I love this post. It's exactly what the picnic needed. I'm ecstatic you decided to play and I thank you for the rescue:)

P.S. Dare I say, I've never been to Whole Foods, only once to Trader Joe's. I do however, enjoy poking around Wegman's.

Rochelle R. said...

What a clever post for a difficult letter. My daughter shops at Whole Foods as my granddaughter is on a gluten free diet and they have lots of GF choices at WFs.

Mae Travels said...

Thanks for your comments! It was fun, wasn't it.

Julie said...

I've only been to Whole Foods a couple of times myself, but I could roam around in there for hours, if not for the fear of being thrown out :) The salad bar looks awesome.

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Mae,
I just wanted to drop by and "personally" thank you again for coming through for the picnic. I said it before and I'll say it again. You did GREAT!!!

I tried to email you but it seems google email is having a problem when I try to reply.

Thanks again, it was fun...Hope you had a wonderful Independence Day!!! Louise