2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), coarsely chopped -- I used Trader Joe's
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 ounces walnut pieces, coarsely chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9-inch square baking pan (2 inches deep).
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Or microwave – medium heat – until melted.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt & sugar in a small bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a large bowl, then pour in cooled chocolate mixture, whisking until combined well. Stir in flour mixture, then walnuts. Transfer batter to baking pan.
- Bake until top is shiny and set and sides have begun to pull away slightly (a wooden pick or skewer will not come out clean), about 45 minutes, for fudgy brownies; or until wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, up to 1 hour total, for cakey brownies. I made fudgy.
- Cool brownies completely in pan on a rack and cut into squares. Store them in a cookie tin.