Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Occoquan, Virginia

This morning there was a tiny bit of snow: a shock for Virginia!
This afternoon was better, and we walked around the tiny town of Occoquan, on the Occoquan River.
We usually go a bit further south to the National Wildlife Refuge at on the bay.


In season, you can rent kayaks and go out on the river.
The highway bridge spans the river just above the town.


The main street is lined with shops selling art work, giftware, and the like. It’s fun.
(I didn’t buy anything.)





This block of twenty-first century condos is made to look like original Victorian row houses.
Up closer, you can see that the siding is vinyl, the decorations are plastic, and it’s too too cute!
Many of the other buildings along the waterfront are older than this!

Blog post © 2024 mae e. sander 

7 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

You had some beautiful blue skies; we had grey skies almost all day. I bet it was ncie to get out and visit a new (?) place. hugs-Erika

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a pretty day for a walk.
We had a little snow too, but it melted fast.
I like the row of condos in the last photo, they are cute.
Take care, have a wonderful day!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Lovely place for a walk! That's the second Valentine tree I've seen now. I guess it's a new thing.

Happy Valentine's Day, Mae!

DVArtist said...

I really like VA all the times I was there. This looks like a very nice town. Have a Happy Valentine's Day

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I imagine pretty much every town in Virginia has a reason to place a historical sign. Occoquan is surely no exception. I enjoyed learning some of it. The shopping street you went to sounds like the only kind of window shopping I enjoy (and almost never buy, so the cuteness is wasted on me.) If asked, I'd say that faked things don't appeal to me, but oddly enough I think those row-house condos are adorable -- they're usually so cookie cutter everywhere the same.

Jeanie said...

Love that shot of the colorful kayaks! It looks like a good time. (And you already know how to drive on snow!)

Sharon Wagner said...

I love it when artists make sculptures with recycled parts. So creative and cool. Happy Valentine's Day!