Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Alexandria, Virginia

This morning we took a walk near the Potomac River. We were very happy to see two fascinating birds: a Great Horned Owl and a Pileated Woodpecker.



Lunch and a walk in Alexandria

We had lunch at a Vietnamese cafe in Alexandria after our search for birds at the marsh. Caphe Banh Mi has only a few tables. The menu has many Vietnamese specialties: specifically, the largest selection of Banh Mi sandwiches I’ve ever seen! The three of us ordered three choices: a “classic” with ham and pâté de campagne, one with roast pork, and one with deep-fried catfish.


Another table across from ours.

So many interesting buildings on the streets of Alexandria!



The Torpedo Factory: a huge building with artists’ workshops and art sales.
During World War II, the building produced torpedos for the war effort, and has been adapted as an art space.


The columns that hold up the building are painted in interesting ways.

Mural we saw from the car on the way out of Alexandria:
“For there is always light,
if only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it.”
— Amanda Gorman

Blog post and photos © 2024 mae e. sander

 

8 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I recognize Duvall's Tavern from my last visit to Alexandria, which was years ago. And you saw some great birds, and even got some lovely photos too. I've never seen a live great horned owl. That's a lucky shot. hugs-Erika

eileeninmd said...

Great birds Mae, I love both the woodpecker and the owl.
Your lunch sounds delicious, great views of Alexandria.
I would like to explore the Torpedo Factory.
Great mural finds. Take care, enjoy your day!

Jeanie said...

I love that art space and would love to visit. Alexandria looks like a beautiful city. I'm glad you saw a pileated. I don't think I've ever seen one but I always think of Woody Woodpecker!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Fantastic mural with a fantastic quote from a fantastic poet.

The Pileated Woodpecker looks like I imagine dinosaurs once looked.

thecuecard said...

Wow you saw those two birds on a regular walk near the Potomac?! That's awesome. We got lucky on Sunday and also saw a Great Horned Owl ... in a pine tree close to a snow-covered river here .... only reason we saw it is that some smaller birds were making a ruckus ... and we looked and there it was. Quiet and observing.

Christine said...

Nice post

Iris Flavia said...

The woodpecker is especially beautiful.And you left me all hungry...

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Thanks for sharing!
I'll never forget my last view of a couple of pileated woodpeckers: we had been hiking several hours in a state forest in Georgia, and didn't see too many birds.
Then before driving away, my husband went to the bathroom. I stayed near our car, and started hearing huge banging. I knew what it meant! So I looked around, and lo and behold, 2 pileated woodpeckers along a trunk just on the edge of the parking lot!!