Friday, March 17, 2023

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

At the Giants Causeway, March 2011. This mysterious rock formation was made by the
giant Finn McCool of Ireland. (Or if you prefer, by volcanic activity)
One of many places we have visited with Arny and Tracy on our visits with them in Ireland.

On several trips to Ireland, I've come to love the green beauty of the Irish landscape and also to appreciate the cuisine, which is not in the least dominated by corned beef and cabbage or by potatoes. These are the American cliches about Irish food! Here are some photos that I have posted before, to celebrate Ireland.

Clonmacnoise National Historic Site, County Offaly, Ireland.

Opening an oyster at Moran's Oyster Cottage at Coole near the estate made famous
by William Butler Yeats. We've been there several times.

Lemon tart at a restaurant in Galway.

Swans near Moran’s Oyster House, reminding me of the Yeats poem “The Wild Swans at Coole.”
”But now they drift on the still water,
Mysterious, beautiful”

Irish sheep in 2016.


Ancient Dolmen at the Burren near Galway, 2005

"Under bare Ben Bulben's head
In Drumcliff churchyard Yeats is laid.
An ancestor was rector there
Long years ago, a church stands near,
By the road an ancient cross." -- W.B.Yeats

Photos © 2005-2023 mae sander

13 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's good to know about different foods, because I abhor corned beef and cabbage. Your lemon tart looks lovely. LOVELY shots of Ireland, Mae. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

My mom said Ireland was her favorite place to visit in Europe. She liked it because it was so green.

I'd sure love to try that lemon tart.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Iris Flavia said...

I´ve never been there but have a shamrock here from Irish blogger Bill.

anno said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you as well -- here's hoping you're spending the day creating your own version of that delectable lemon tart!

Sláinte!

Jeanie said...

What a capture with that rainbow, Mae! Timing is everything! Happy St. Pat's day!

Helen's Book Blog said...

Wonderful photos from Ireland. Have a great weekend!

My name is Erika. said...

Ireland is beautiful country. Giant's Causeway makes me think of the very long walk we took there on a beautiful spring day. Thanks for sharing these great photos and taking me back on my Ireland trip. Happy start to your weekend Mae. hugs-Erika

GreenComotion said...

Great photos and a lovely poem.
Yes, I too have heard those Irish and other stereotypes.
Thanks for taking us all to Ireland.
Be well!

eileeninmd said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Love the photos, Ireland has been on my bucket list and we will be visiting soon too. I always enjoy seeing your travel photos.
I love the seen with the sheep and the pretty swans. The Giants Causeway is a cool sight to see and my favorite photo is the second historical site with the rainbow. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Mae :=)
I have always wanted to visit Ireland, not just because it has beautiful green landscapes but also because the people seem so warm and friendly and the culture is vastly different from where I live. The rock formation at the Giant Causeway is unlike any other I have seen, and I have visited many volcanic islands. Lovely rainbow in the second image. The pointed roof seems to be a distinctive feature of Irish architecture.
The ancient Dolmens are fascinating. Lovely sheep and swan captures Mae.
All the best.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have visited Ireland twice, sadly, on business both times and I barely got a chance to see the country. I doubt that I will ever go there now. My loss.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The rainbow is spectacular! It made all the colors look brilliant! What a fabulous place to visit! WOW!

Tina said...

Great photos. We visited Clonmacnoise during two different trips there. Love the beauty of Ireland.