Thursday, October 31, 2019

October: Spice Month

And no, I don't mean pumpkin spice. I'll leave that to Trader Joe's (where one of the clerks told me that a staff joke is that even pumpkin spice toilet paper would sell out fast -- if they stocked it). Admittedly, I'm not really a fan of pumpkin spice, especially its ubiquitous presence in so many foods in October. I'll take Halloween candy instead, thank you.

In my kitchen in October, I've had lots and lots of herbs and spices other than pumpkin spice. I also bought an intriguing book titled Herbs and Spices: The Pursuit of Flavor, edited by the food writer Waverley Root in 1980. Root offered a selection of articles by various writers on recognizing, growing, using, and enjoying spices -- especially a couple by Paula Wolfert, a cookbook writer I'm fond of. And of course we have Halloween candy.

The last garden herbs.


Just a few more left in the pots, which are now put away.

Drying the herbs in my pantry. You can see one of my Mona Lisa mugs behind them.
Several predictions of frost pressed me to harvest the spices in my garden. The expected frosts did not happen, and each time, the plants sprouted a few more aromatic leaves. Now we have gathered all that we want, and have put away the flower pots for the season.

New Penzey's Spices and more.

My shipment of 6 jars of spice from Penzey's: ground cardamom, celery seed,
peppercorns, tarragon, and fennel seed. And a free packet of pepper mixture.
I had a good reason to order spice from Penzeys: their owner is running an ad campaign to encourage people to support impeachment, and to communicate their support to their congressmen and senators. First Penzey's received quite a lot of publisity because they spent more in one week on pro-impeachment ads on Facebook than all but one other advertiser. The next weekend, Penzey's offered to use all proceeds from new customers to buy more ads encouraging impeachment. That's when I put in my order!

As the New York Times said: "Penzeys Spices, a family-owned company in Wauwatosa, spent nearly $92,000 on Facebook advertisements related to impeachment from Sept. 29 to Oct. 5, according to data from a communications agency that tracks political spending.  (That was eclipsed by Mr. Trump and his campaign, which spent more than $700,000.)" (Source: New York Times, October 11, 2019).

And from amazon.com: a new jar of Ras El Hanout.
From Trader Joe's: pepper in its own grinder.
I had used up my previous supplies of these spices.

It's also Cauliflower Cheese Month.

A comfort food recommended by bloggers around the world!
This is my dish of cauliflower with white sauce and cheese topping.
Inspired by Johanna at the GGG Blog from Australia, I steamed a locally grown and purchased cauliflower and made what I call cauliflower au gratin, and what British-origin bloggers call cauliflower cheese. Johanna's post showed pasties filled with cauliflower in cheese sauce, with a list of her many ways to make cauliflower cheese. The blogger at The Veg Hog, who identifies as a "vegetarian hobby cook and urban gardener born in Finland, currently living in Denmark," also made this dish in October. I wonder how many others around the world are making this dish!

And in my kitchen: Halloween, best holiday of the year!

What trick-or-treaters will get when they come to our door.
Note that I did find some Kit Kat with glow-in-the-dark wrappers!
At the end of each month, I write up what's been happening in my kitchen and share it with like-minded bloggers on Sherry's website: http://sherryspickings.blogspot.com/ -- check this site for links to lots of kitchen blogs, titled "In My Kitchen" or IMK.

The IMK logo.


All photos and text here are copyright © 2019 by Mae Sander for mae's food blog, 
hosted at Google's blogspot dot com. 
If you are reading this elsewhere, you are reading a pirated version.

18 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I just harvested the last bit of herbs from my balcony too. Those fresh sages look really good.
Happy Halloween to you too, Mae!

kwarkito said...

that orange thing in the white house is maybe a kind of pumpkin... I really hope he'll get impeached, even if it seems difficult. Have a nice halloween.

Jeanie said...

I haven't ordered Penzey's yet because I have SO MANY SPICES it covers a LONG shelf over two cupboards. Some of these need to be pitched but even so, replaced. I redid the cupboard the other day and kind of freaked out when I realized that! But I love their campaign and I am on their email list so soon, I think.

I have to cut some more thyme and oregano and would today if it weren't for this wretched rain. But snow is predicted so I'll probably go out anyway. And I have to dry the tarragon. I'm going to try to keep the rosemary and one varigated basil going as long as it can but I'm never terribly optimistic on that score! Bad light!

Sherry's Pickings said...

hi Mae
hope you had a happy halloween as we did. So many kids this year; like little vultures swooping and sweeping up the sweets.:-) but they were very very cute. such tiny little arms as i stamped them with a happy halloween stamp. cauliflower cheese? yummo. i love it, especially when you add a bit of broccoli to the mix. thanks again for joining in this month. have a good november too. cheers sherry

Tiffin Fiona said...

It's a spicy November kitchen indeed. In sunny old Brisbane, the herbs just go on and on but I am looking forward to a new raised bed we have started to build, so we can also enjoy home grown veggies. Ha ha – Penzey's deserve a medal! If I could but their spices I would. Well done you. The family across the road loves Halloween so every few years that have a big party for the kids and their friends. I got a text from Jane telling me she was having *30* kids over! I decorated the house as did a few others. When I went out on dusk, I was surprised to see an ambulance in the street and thought one of the kids' parents had dropped them to the party in the ambulance. But no. One of Jane's sons fell from the play fort just as the party was starting and broke his arm. No Halloween party for Julian (5) but lots of lollies the next day!

http://www.tiffinbitesized.com.au/2019/11/02/in-my-kitchen-november-2019/

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I knew Penzey's was a great company! :--)

jama said...

Didn't know about those glow in the dark KitKat wrappers! Very cool.

Enjoyed seeing your homegrown herbs and learning about that book. Also, you've convinced me to order from Penzey's! Hope you had a good Halloween with lots of trick-or-treaters (we only had 3 because of bad weather).

Claudia said...

How appropriate for a spice writer, Waverly Root :) And thanks for the information about Penzey's Spices, now I'll avoid them like the plague!

Beth F said...

I love Penzey's

Carole said...

I am trying to buy fewer spices and use them up more quickly. May be a lost cause. Cheers

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

How fun that Penzey's Spices is supporting impeachment!

We keep our herbs year-round here in Texas, as it almost never freezes. We can, in a pinch, cover everything with a sheet and uncover the next day.

The VegHog said...

It's indeed a cauliflower cheese month, yours looks very inviting and thanks for the shoutout! In Finland we also call it "gratiini", Finnish for gratin, but as I lived in Britain for a long time, the cauliflower cheese name has stuck with me. Nice to peek into your kitchen.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love herb gardens, and I always have about 6 varieties of herbs in pots on my deck all summer and fall- They were still flourishing 2 weeks ago before I left for Florida for the winter. I'm into the Halloween candy too! It certainly is a fun holiday!

Tina said...

I never heard of Penzeys so thanks for the info. I will place an order with them asap! Love your potted herbs and I spied a Mona Lisa mug in there too :-)

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Enjoy the fruits of your herb drying labour. I have never tried pumpkin spice so I would make some if it was worth it :)

Liz said...

My mother always ordered her spices from Penzeys, good for them for supporting impeachment! I have a wonderful spice shop a bit closer, the Oakltown Spice Shop in Oakland, CA. When I am in the bay area I always stock up but they also ship. I highly recommend them.

Love cauliflower cheese! I was surprised to see a recent blog post where they described it as cauliflower mac and cheese, like this was a new dish? Come on!

Anyway, happy pumpkin season and I am tired of pumpkin spice this and that.

Shaheen said...

Your so right its cauliflower cheese month! Do love fresh herbs. And i couldn't help have a nosy of your previous and more up to date blog posts and your neighbours pumpkin is the biggest i have ever seen - wowzer! I need to make pumpkin spice! Every year i plan to, but never do.

Shaheen said...

Ah want to add that I am presently making Johanna's whole head cauliflower cheese for todays dinner. I hope it looks as gorgeous as hers.