Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ideal 20th Century Kitchens

Nick and Nora Charles and Asta in "The Thin Man" --
The Art Deco backgrounds of their beautiful apartment included a pure 1930s kitchen.
Yesterday I briefly explored the idea that the art of the twentieth century might, like the art of earlier centuries, be an interesting source of visual information about how we ate and cooked in kitchens, restaurants, and diners. My examples were drawings, paintings, and sculpture.

TV and movies in the future will surely be an even bigger help for those who want to visualize the kitchens from our recent past. Though the kitchens on film were usually idealized, there was a lot of resemblance to reality, I think.

The following kitchens don't need much more said about them ...
Beaver Cleaver
Ricky wears an apron...
Lucy does something zany?
Ozzie and Harriet's Happy Happy Kitchen 
 
Annie Hall
Seinfeld's Kitchen

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

All of these strike such a chord -- a lot of those could have been my family kitchens. And you are right -- the video kitchen does tell a lot about the times and the people and who was in the kitchen. Very nice series!

~~louise~~ said...

Love this Mae! I know they look exactly the same as they did, but, for some reason I feel like I'm really seeing each one of them for the first time.

Thank you so much for sharing...