Thursday, April 30, 2015

New Cookbook of Southwest Indian Cuisine

After a trip to New Mexico and Arizona, I found it irresistible to
buy a cookbook of recipes from the southwestern Indian people.
I bought this one by Lois Ellen Frank, a cook and photographer.
The illustrations are beautiful, and numerous.
This shows the making of "adobe" bread in
the traditional oven.
Indian porridge served with Navajo peaches.
Food ways are one of the topics of the Indian museum
in Santa Fe.
I haven't tried any of the recipes. However, I find them fascinating to read. Many of them require very specialized ingredients, like plants that grow wild in Indian country or special types of chiles, corn,  or beans that are cultivated there. Game such as venison and rabbit is also on the menu. Substitutions would make the recipes pretty ordinary. So I might just opt to enjoy the photos.

2 comments:

Cakelaw said...

What a great book! I enjoyed travelling through these areas when we did our Route 66 tour last year.

Charlie Louie said...

Now that's a cuisine I've never heard of. The cookbook sounds like it would be a very interesting read and I'd love to know more about the unusual ingredients xx