Monday, August 31, 2026

In My Kitchen and in My Life

Nothing is really new in my kitchen this August, but we have been making good use of gadgets, furniture and so on that we already have. And we’ve enjoyed summer produce, buying local when we can find it, but also shopping at our most convenient local food store that happens to be Trader Joe’s. Here are a few photos of August foods from the market to our table and in our pantry.

August produce in my kitchen and at the markets.


Sheet pan chicken and potatoes.

Lamb stir-fry with rice and smashed cucumber salad. Trader Joe’s had great shaved lamb, perfect for this dish.

Charcoal-grilled lamb chops.

Corn is in season and local corn is delicious.
Unfortunately our next ears of corn were moldy and had to be thrown away. 

Ravioli toasted in a frying pan rather than steamed.

An omelet


Another omelet.

Fresh fruit from a neighbors trip to western Michigan.

Pancakes with the peaches and blueberries

Toaster waffles: a favorite breakfast this month.


Ice cream: always in my kitchen

In the Pantry

My messy pantry shelves.

Onions in the onion bin

Among other things: an order of jam from amazon.com

On the New Grill Pan

Chicken cooked on the new grill pan and served with a cucumber salad.

A few more dinners

Shrimp with rice and green peas

Vanilla pudding topped with local peaches

A Few More Thoughts for August

A Fascinating Artist Has Died

Yayoi Kusama (1929-2026) was a fascinating Japanese artist and sculptor. (link)

Summer Flowers are Still in Bloom


And I Got Snookered

Now in the pantry: a lifetime supply of off-brand peanut butter cups (note intentional misspelling).
I guess you have to be hyperaware ALL the time, even if you just want authentic REESES candy.

The real deal (that I don’t have)


Blog post © 2026 mae sander

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

Why do they keep messing with Reeses? Since we got a TJ, it is now my main store (Meijer a back-up for certain things). Their stuff is so good and their prices (mostly) seem very reasonable. Love your pantry!

DVArtist said...

A very nice post with so many wonderful foods and your pantry. I should think about getting some of those wire baskets. Ohhh, just leave Resse's cups alone. The thought Oreio's in the cup makes me gag. LOL. Have a nice day today.

My name is Erika. said...

So much tasty food Mae. And lucky you to have Trader Joe's near by. I have a bit of a drive to get to my closest store.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love the peaches, blueberries, corn on the cob, and eggplant! Summer produce at its best.. Looks like some wonderful food over the past month Mae and plenty of Reeses!!

Sherry's Pickings said...

Lots of good food there Mae. Oh yes i was so sad about Yayoi Kusama! But she did have a very good innings. Thanks muchly for joining in this month as ever. I have added your post manually.
cheers
sherry

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,
Looks of yummy food! Happy September, have a great day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I grew eggplants that size one year. I must try them again next year.

The blueberries and peaches look really fresh and lovely. The shrimp and buttered rice are making me very hungry.

Your pantry is a lot different than mine. I keep food and snacks, but no dishware. It's all food. I like your garlic keeper. I have one that is terracotta, but I haven't seen it in ages!