Saturday, September 14, 2024

Beaver Dreams

 

The beaver dam in the Botanical Gardens was rebuilt this spring after winter flooding washed it away.
There have been only a few trailcam sightings of the actual beavers. I always enjoy walking past this site.

As a child, I was nervous about beavers. I thought they were lurking under my bed, and would grab my feet if I got up. I dreamed about them fearfully. Much later, my father mentioned a children’s book that probably inspired my worries. Thinking about the beaver dam that I saw recently made me remember about this book, so I looked online. 

Now I think I know what book it was. It was titled The Secret of the Ancient Oak and was published in 1942. In this children’s book (which isn’t all that suitable for children) a beaver terrorizes the other animals who live in a forest, especially those who inhabit a very ancient oak tree. Realizing his evil ways, they band together and drive him out. The author intended to write a story that was not just a for children, but was also an early allegory of the rise of Hitler. My father had evidently admired this secondary message, but regretted having read it to me: it was too effective in portraying a threatening dictator. 

I have no memory of actually seeing the book, as I believe it was disposed of when I was very young (but I guess that was too late for my fears). I learned a little about the book from my web search. The author went by the name WOLO, pseudonym for a German writer Wolf Erhardt Anton George Trutzschuler von Falkenstein (1902–1989). Copies are now rare and expensive, but I found several images of the book’s pages on websites that deal in collectibles. Here are some of the images.







I’m still afraid of the evil beaver who wanted to destroy the oak tree and take over the forest.




Review by mae sander © 2024.
Shared with Sunday Salon at https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/.


21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I have never heard of this book. The last photo gave me a good laugh. Have a happy weekend.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Picture books are my favorite genre, and I'm especially fascinated with picture books from the past. No one would publish a picture book today with so many words on a page---children today would not be able to read it themselves and they probably would not even be able to sit while an adult read it to them.

I wonder how you came across that book. It was published in Europe and then it had to make its way overseas.

Bullies fill me with fear. I am not equipped to deal with them. I can only hope that American voters act.

EricaSta said...

What a nice book for children... or adults too!? Because, I love reading children books. Do you know "Struwwelpeter"? And I agree about Mr.T. !!!

Thank you for sharing, have a wonderful weekend. Greetings

Jeanie said...

We are all afraid of the evil beaver. This post is fascinating. I don't know that book but while the story is scary and horrifying, the illustrations are so charming. I love books from that era. (Kids books.) The graphics are wonderful but I can see why the story could scare the heck out of you!

thecuecard said...

Gosh I have never heard of this one. But it does sound scary or unsettling from a child's perspective. The illustrations are pretty good and telling. Beavers often get this kind of wrap, right? But if it's meant as a metaphor then it seems to do a good job.

DVArtist said...

I have never been afraid of the beaver as a kid but bears scared the bejeebies out of me. LOL Great last photo. Have a nice day today.

thathappyreader said...

I love that you included photos from the book along with your personal story Mae!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post and photos ~ book sounds delightful and glad you are not a Trump fan ~ hugs,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Alas, a good book to (re)read now

Nicky said...

Huh, a beaver seems like an odd choice for such a villain -- but it sounds like it was really effective! I admit to being very curious.

Cindy said...

Interesting story and post!

magiceye said...

Wonderful analogy!

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Love the cute little beaver, but not that Orange jump-scare at the end!

Mark Baker said...

It's amazing how a story can influence us, especially that young.

I associate beavers with Narnia. A much more friendly image.

Vicki said...

I have never understood why so many books have been banned that I couldn't find anything wrong with, like this book. Then in the 7th grade (my brother in law was in the Vietnam war at the time) one of our assigned readings was Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. It was about a vet who got shot in the face. A lot of the kids didn't read it either by choice or because their parents wouldn't let them. I read it and have a copy on my bookshelf still. Books and movies have never scared me.

Rachel @Waves of Fiction said...

I've never thought of a beaver as a scary animal, but if I read this story as a kid I'm sure I'd have been terrified. The message is terrifying, even now. Lol on the last photo, but if I think about it I'm terrified by the prospect! I hate bullies. The hair!!!

Mae Travels said...

Just for clarity: this book has never been banned, though it’s now mainly forgotten.

Yvonne said...

Looks like a good one!

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't heard of this book, but the illustrations are adorable, even if the beaver was frightening. I do like your connection at the end of your post though. Let's hope there are no beavers under anyone's bed come later this year.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I just started to read “Beaver Land - How One Weird Rodent Made America.” So far, I am really enjoying it. Another weird rodent has the potential to destroy America - and it appears that the Supreme Court is willing to help him do it.

Divers and Sundry said...

What a lovely old book. I've never seen a beaver dam in person.