Monday, October 10, 2011

Really Retro

I just read about a tasting menu at the Getty Museum in Los Angeles that included American food representing several decades. It's arranged in chronological order from starters to desert. I'm unusually impressed by the right-on choices:
  • 1940s -- chicken liver and bacon paté with brandied cherries, watercress and pecan raisin bread
  • 1950s -- poached lobster and asparagus casserole with crispy potato, shaved truffle and American caviar
  • 1960s -- steak Diane with fingerling potatoes, caramelized onion, wild mushrooms and Bloomsdale spinach
  • 1970s -- "Brie fondue" (puff pastry baked Brie) with brioche, orange marmalade and balsamic
  • 1980s -- "mud pie," a coffee sabayon with chocolate crust and dark chocolate ganache.
A random photo of a mud pie:

2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Some one did their homework over there:) I'm not sure I could make it through each course. I love the concept though.

Thanks for sharing, Mae...

Jeanie said...

I always thought it would be fun to have a party where everyone had to bring something from their mother's recipe book. (This was reinforced by the recent acquisition of my aunt's recipe file.) Ah, the mushroom soup!