Friday, March 17, 2017

Happy Saint Patrick's Day





Evening update: here's the dinner: corned beef, cabbage (braised,
not boiled in the cooking water), and some pickled peppers
and carrots.
 For the first time in ages, I decided to make corned beef and cabbage for Saint Patrick's Day. I'll be simmering the corned beef much of the afternoon, and I'm looking forward to having it for dinner.

Since it's Saint Patrick's Day, I was thinking about Irish food. Yes, there is corned beef in Ireland, but now there's also a very exciting range of other foods and quite a wonderful twenty-first century cuisine. Without any details, I present here some images of delicious things we've tried in Ireland, especially fish and oysters:

Plaice with little potatoes, snow peas, and other vegetables.
Lemon Tart

Fish & Chips.

morans1








Thinking of Ireland, I feel one should not forget the worst phase of Irish history: the potato famine of the nineteenth century. In Dublin in 1997, a very moving memorial to the Irish famine victims was created by sculptor Rowan Gillespie. Two photos of this collection of statues:



Galway, Ireland, a few hours ago: the Saint Patrick's Day Parade. Photo by my brother, with whom we also ate all those meals!

8 comments:

Tina said...

Good food and good memories! I have been to Ireland twice and would love to go back again.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

We traveled to Ireland many years ago and it was one of my favorite trips. It is so beautiful and so green.

Beth F said...

We had corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, too.

jama said...

Looks like a rainy St. Paddy's Day in Galway. We had corned beef and cabbage too! Look forward to it every year.

Claudia said...

This was one of the first years I didn't make corned beef and cabbage, though did raise a toast to the occasion with Guinness Draught. Great photos Mae!

nishitak said...

I would love to go to Ireland some day. I might have a problem with food though, since I'm vegetarian.

Carole said...

Wishing you the luck of the Irish! Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Margaret Ullrich said...

Loved your photos, Mae! Your traditional St. Patrick's Day dinner looks delicious. Hope there was a bit or corned beef leftover for a dish or two of hash.

Thank you for the update on what people in Ireland are enjoying now. The lemon tart looks very ‘now’.

Happy Spring!
Margaret at https://imturning60help.blogspot.ca