A random photo of a mud pie:
- 1940s -- chicken liver and bacon paté with brandied cherries, watercress and pecan raisin bread
- 1950s -- poached lobster and asparagus casserole with crispy potato, shaved truffle and American caviar
- 1960s -- steak Diane with fingerling potatoes, caramelized onion, wild mushrooms and Bloomsdale spinach
- 1970s -- "Brie fondue" (puff pastry baked Brie) with brioche, orange marmalade and balsamic
- 1980s -- "mud pie," a coffee sabayon with chocolate crust and dark chocolate ganache.