Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Three Beautiful Things

 


Carol invited us for dinner; she made a beautiful fresh-fruit tart for dessert.

Math and Beauty

For mathematicians a solution to a long-standing problem is a thing of great beauty. This week, a problem that was originally posed almost 200 years ago appears to have been solved by using artificial intelligence. Mathematicians, including a good friend of ours, have spent enormous efforts to find a solution to this problem which deals with the apparently chaotic behavior of fluids like the wake of a boat where water appears to churn without any definable pattern. The success by AI appears to be quite a surprise to the math community. The problem, known as the Navier-Stokes problem, was named for the two mathematicians who originally proposed it: Claude-Louis Navier (1785-1836) and George Gabriel Stokes (1819-1837). The result was achieved by 88 hours of computer time using 10,000 artificial intelligence agents. (source)




Photos © 2026 mae sander

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh man, I'm salivating over that fresh fruit tart! And glad that AI solved that math dilemma before it goes rogue and kills us all.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh and P.S., I'm home again now and back to daily blogging.

Jeanie said...

Gorgeous photos. So on the fence about AI. I love it in some ways, freaks me out in others. I just got you bookmarked so until Blogger figures itself out, I can find you! If you haven't been able to access Blogger reader (don't know if it's acting up all over the world or just here), please follow me by email -- you can sign up on the Marmelade Gypsy home page on the right rail. Thanks!

Helen's Book Blog said...

That tart is stunning and looks delicious.