Saturday, May 06, 2017

Spices

Experimenting with spices: I roasted a chicken with cumin, tarragon, a bit of preserved lemon, and smoked paprika.
I basted it with apple juice. At the end I added lemon juice and more tarragon to the sauce. It's not really Moroccan,
but it blends in some of the Moroccan spices that I've also been trying out.

Carved and ready to serve. The sauce is at lower right.

On the table. The lentils were flavored with ras-al-hanout and onion -- another Moroccan spice.
We also had some very early peaches (origin: Mexico) that I dribbled with a tiny bit of rosewater.
Where I've been this week: visiting my sister in Indiana. We watched a
few birds singing in the Celery Bog near her house in West Lafayette.
Not far from the Celery Bog: another natural preserve called
Mulvey Pond, where we saw a few ducks and geese.
We ate several delicious meals at my sisters's. As an
experiment we got out her very old electric percolator
and made coffee to check what it would taste like if you
made percolator coffee from freshly ground good beans
instead of from horrible grocery store coffee!
It's not bad at all.

4 comments:

Beth F said...

That chicken looks fabulous!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Love all the spices that you used on the chicken, looks perfectly roasted. I brought out my moms percolator a few months ago and we thought the coffee was much better too.

Esme said...

Your chicken looks delicious.

Jeanie said...

Your combo of spices sounds really good. I think I'll have to try that bit. Just got my tarragon planted Sunday. Does that mean I'll have to wait?!