Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chinese Woodblock Prints


This afternoon we saw a remarkable exhibit of Chinese woodblock prints all dating to the past decade. I was especially impressed by this image of a family eating dinner, reflected in a spoon. I loved the detailed imagery of dishes and foods, and the suggestion of family life. My photo isn't good at all: the print is around 6 feet tall, so I took it from across the room.

We also heard a fascinating lecture about the meaning of the prints, especially about a conceptual artist, Xu Bing, who used to work in New York but is now in China.

2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Mae!
Wow! that spoon is incredible. I can't even begin to imagine the painstaking work it must have entailed. Sounds like you had an enjoyable visit.

Thank you so much for sharing...

BTW, It feels good to be back and yes, the visit with the kids was just what I needed. They were here and gone in a flash. However, Tabi did manage to do a "guest post" on my daughter-in-laws fashion blog. It was set in stone before I even got the chance to suggest it. Thanks for the idea though it was sweet of you.

Jeanie said...

Incredible.