Monday, August 24, 2009

Best Seller

Julia Child, my all-time favorite cookbook author, has made it big, says the New York Times:
Julia Child Finally Has a Big Best Seller

Almost 48 years after it was first published, “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” is topping the best-seller list.

My copy of the book dates from 1964. It was my second cookbook because a friend had already given me the Larousse Gastronomique as a wedding present. So I didn't just learn to cook French food from Julia Child -- I learned to cook from Julia Child. Believe me, you can't learn to cook from the Larousse! It assumes you know everything except a few details. We had just returned from a long stay in France (on Len's post-graduate Fullbright fellowship) so we knew we wanted to eat French food; the timing was perfect.

I have memorized many of the recipes, and over the years have bought most of her other books as well. I loved her autobiography, My Life in France, which I read when it was published. Now I just have to see the movie.

1 comment:

~~louise~~ said...

Oh how I wish I still had my copy of “Mastering the Art of French Cooking.” I find solace in knowing it is in warm appreciative hands.

Thanks Mae, now I need to appreciate my Larousse Gastronomique.