Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Food on TV: Great British Baking Show

First Episode of this Year’s Great British Baking Show

The Great British Baking Show is back. We watched the first episode with veteran hosts/judges Alison Hammond, Noel Fielding and Paul Hollywood. The other previous judge, Dame Prue Leith, decided to enjoy her summer at home rather than in the big baking tent, and the famous Nigella Lawson has replaced her. I did not find this particularly earth-shaking. In fact, I think maybe there’s not much more this show can do after 14 years — I believe we have watched around nine of them. Nevertheless, I’m sure we’ll persist for another season. Here is the NYT headline (link) followed by two publicity photos:


\



The judges in a publicity shot.
Blog post by mae sander, 2026

6 comments:

  1. I do enjoy this show. Noel was a sitter on the English painting show, Portrait artist of the year. He was quite humble on that show. I like him. I will have to see where I can watch this. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do like reality TV cooking shows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss this show -- I don't get netflix anymore. I can see the old ones on Roku and sometimes watch. I like Nigella, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being not much into sweets....
    The German show is called "Das große Backen" > "The big bake" and with my near-deaf right ear when they announced it I understood..."Das große Kacken" > "The big Poop". This will never leave my brain!!
    ... and I sure will not watch it! ;-)
    Enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now the silver fox with the cornflower-blue eyes, Paul Hollywood, will have to get used to not being the only sex symbol judge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watch all the seasons and enjoy them even though the early episodes have some major disasters. Gary and Tom both seem like good bakers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Please include a link to your current blog so that I can read your blog and share more of what you are thinking. Your google-blog-ID may not link to a blog hosted at another site, so please let me know who you REALLY are!