| Webster Church is around 20 miles from Ann Arbor on a rural road called Webster Church Road. The church dates to a few years after Ann Arbor was founded. |
“In 1834 construction began on Webster Church, the oldest church building in continuous use in Washtenaw County. Built on land donated by Hannah Williams Kingsley, it was completed in 1835 after Moses Kingsley secured donations from Daniel Webster and others in the East. The church had been founded in 1833 under the leadership of the Rev. Charles G. Clark, a New York missionary to the Michigan frontier. Clark was pastor until 1858.”
Reading a little about the orator and politician Daniel Webster, I couldn’t figure out why he would have contributed to a church in an obscure location on the frontier. The location of the church is also a bit puzzling as there are only a few farmhouses in the immediate area.
I like the design of the windows and shutters on the front.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of a detailed history placed out the front of the building where it can be read in peace. I hope all the details are accurate :)
ReplyDeleteThis church is quite pretty, and it looks a lot like churches you find in almost every town here in New England. Then I saw it was built by the UNited Church of Christ, or what used to be called the Congregational Church, which is the denomination almost all our classic white churches are, Makes sense.
ReplyDeleteThat's interesting -- and I liked the history plaque. I wonder if Webster knew someone involved.
ReplyDeleteI also like the history plaque. It's a lovely building. Thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteNow I too am wondering what her connection was to Daniel Webster. Intriguing!
ReplyDelete