Friday, July 31, 2026

In My Kitchen, July 2026

New Things in My Kitchen



New octopus-shaped jar which Evelyn made for me.

Dragon coffee bowl, also by Evelyn.

New grill pan which marks the food with grill marks.

Magnets


New magnets on the refrigerator.

A Little Magnet History

My magnet collection, which contains quite a few of them, hasn’t changed much lately, but Evelyn visited Arches National Park in June, and brought me the Arches magnet. The second new magnet — which I bought at a local shop — depicts the “Big Tire,” which is a famous Detroit landmark on Highway 94 between Ann Arbor and Detroit. 

The photo from a car window, taken a couple of years ago, shows the actual Big Tire as we were driving past it. The structure inside the “tire” was originally a ferris wheel built for the New York World’s Fair in 1964. The tire company purchased the ferris wheel in 1966 at the end of the fair. They moved it to its current location beside the freeway where it was repurposed as a record-setting outdoor advertisement. 

It makes a good magnet!


What We’ve Been Eating

Ripe local peaches. The stone-fruit season is just starting.

Lots of vegetables: here, tomatoes, green beans, potatoes.

Fresh corn

Meatballs

Berries

Len's Bread

Salmon from Seattle, a gift from Miriam

Salmon that Alice cooked for us in her kitchen



Blintzes in a fairly recently purchased skillet.

Pasta with cheese and pepper (cacio e pepe) — an Ottolenghi recipe

Cherry tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and grilled chicken

More Berries


Cookbook from the library: most of the recipes call for too much chili pepper.

In July we can cook outdoors all the time, and often do so.


 All Photos © 2026 mae sander
Shared with In My Kitchen, the monthly blog event

13 comments:

  1. I like your octopus jar. And your new grill pan is great. I have one like that. Mine is also square. (I have no idea why they make them square.)
    Interesting to learn about the giant tire.
    Yes, we are eating a lot of stone fruit too. I love peaches (the yellow ones).
    Here it has been too hot to cook anything outdoors. Only after 10 pm is it bearable but then it's too late to eat.
    I love seeing your hubby's bread. Can you send him over to bake some for me?
    Pasta cacio e pepe used to be one of my favorite 'midnight pastas'. When I lived in Italy sand we had friends round. At midnight the guys used to get hungry so we'd put spaghetti in the big pan that I had boiling over the open fire in the corner of the kitchen. Someone would grate the cheese from a large block of Grana Padana )we couldn't afford the real Parmiggiano). Then with a drp of olive oil and the pepper, we'd throw it all together. We would also do past aglio e olio (or ai e oi in our dialect). Put lots of olive oil in a an and then cut up a large amount of garlic. When the pasta is cooked, drain it well and chuck it into the pan with the oil. It will hiss and spit, so carefully mix it all and eat accompanied by vino nero ( a very dark red wine from southern Italy).
    I bet you're hungry now, so I'll leave you.
    Enjoy your weekend,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice new items for the kitchen. I always want to come to your house to eat. I know all of the food you show has to taste as good as it looks. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, fun, interesting post. Esp loved:
    1) the gorgeous octopus jar (how can I order one?), which is stunningly beautiful;
    2) love fridge magnets and enjoyed reading about your new one;
    3) a grill pan is essential, and your new one looks good;
    4) the abundance of lovely meals, herein
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love octopuses (I found out recently it is NOT octopi-hehehe). Such a gorgeous piece Mae. And all your gorgeous food! I too love a good fridge magnet, and keep rotating mine around as i have so many. We have a grill pan too, and i love the grillmarks on food. Seems to make it tastier! Thanks much for joining in this month as ever! Appreciate it!
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a great food month. I love the jar with the Octopus that Evelyn made. It came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peaches are the greatest fruit in the world. Do you grow your own?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love a fridge magnet... and corn on the cob!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had magnets all over my refrigerator when my kids were young. When we redid our kitchen, I packed them away. I got them back out a few months back and put them on my freezer. It makes me happy to see them and remember where they came from. I bet you like doing that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evelyn is very talented! Golly, I love to see what you eat. My peach guy isn't doing peaches this year-- they were always the best. I'm at a loss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your octopus jar! It reminds me of one I made back in my potting days, which was some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hand-made pottery. They have so much personality!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pieces that Evelyn did are amazing!
    I love all the fresh food photos. It looks like you had a lot of summer fun with family and friends. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Please include a link to your current blog so that I can read your blog and share more of what you are thinking. Your google-blog-ID may not link to a blog hosted at another site, so please let me know who you REALLY are!