Monday, May 01, 2017

Zingerman's Sandwich -- Not!


Zingerman's is famous for creative sandwiches. The following menu choice was tried with enthusiasm on our last visit there:
#73 TARB'S TENACIOUS TENURE 
Turkey breast, fresh avocado spread, Wisconsin muenster cheese, tomato & plenty of Zingerman's Russian dressing on grilled farm bread.
$14.99
$17.99 
Needless to say, I have no idea who the eponymous Tarb might have been except that he doubtless worked behind the sandwich counter at Zingerman's at some point.

Before dinner this evening, knowing that I had a package of sliced deli turkey in the fridge, I looked for the description of this item on the Zingerman's website. I put together the necessary ingredients and toasted one sandwich for each of us: one is shown above. Total cost was quite a bit less than two times $17.99.

Russian dressing and avocado spread were easy, and we had some deli pickles: Zingerman's sandwiches ALWAYS come with a
pickle! I chopped up a red bell pepper because I didn't have tomatoes. I also substituted imported Gruyere cheese
for the Wisconsin munster -- not bad substitutions, I would say. We enjoyed the sandwiches for dinner!

If you need ideas for sandwich combos, I recommend the Zingerman's online menu (link here) for dozens of ideas. The menus are conveniently organized by principal ingredient, so you can look for ways to use what you already have on hand, if that's convenient.

It's also fun to eat at Zingerman's deli, if you happen to be in Ann Arbor.

Our main accomplishment today was a trip to Ikea for a garden bench, where we are now keeping a few pots of herbs.
I'm looking forward to making delicious use of tarragon, chives, sage, and mint when they have a chance to grow.


5 comments:

Jackie McGuinness said...

$18 for a sandwich????No way.

But thanks for the link, as I am always looking for tasty sandwich ideas since John is celiac and we no longer have sandwiches out.

Sure do miss Subway!

Beth F said...

I haven't eaten at Zingerman's in years, but I always remember it as fun place. Good job on the re-creation.

Claudia said...

I also try to avoid sandwiches out, as they don't use organic flour for the bread; but I do enjoy being creative with my own, so might visit that site.

Vicki said...

The sandwich sounds really good, I love turkey,avocado, muenster, and tomatoes. But I'm wondering how I'd like the Russian dressing added to it. Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out.

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks like a tasty sandwich! ;-)