|Our Seder table last night. In front: a special hand-made matzo.|
From above, you can see the symbolic foods that remind us of parts of the Passover story of the Jews exodus from Egypt and escape from slavery to freedom:
- Matzo, because the Jews had no time to allow their bread to rise, so we eat unleavened bread.
- Charoset, a fruit paste that symbolizes the mortar that the enslaved Jews used to make the pyramids.
- Salt water, reminding us of the tears they shed, missing their freedom.
- An egg and parsley because this is a spring festival of renewal.
- A lamb bone commemorating the Pascal lamb, sacrificed by the Jews to warn the Angel of Death to spare them when the angel came for the first-born of Egyptian families (the final plague).
|Traditional matzo ball soup with carrots.|
|For a main course for the meal, I made a chicken dish from Ottolenghi's website.|
Above: before and after photos of the chicken.
Link: Chicken with prunes, potatoes, and pomegranate molasses.