Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Very Useful Diagram

From The Washington Post today, this very useful picture showing the traditional way to set a table:


In my own life, I don't always set all of the utensils, glassware, and china out at the same time, as it takes a lot of room. I rarely invite enough guests to make place cards necessary. And I don't often serve both red and white wine so that both glasses would be needed.

In particular, I wait until we are ready for dessert to put out the dessert utensils because somehow a helpful guest always seems to clear them away with the main course setting! However, I was carefully educated about the placement of napkin, fork(s), plate(s), knife (knives), and soup spoon going from left to right as shown here.

1 comment:

Kitchen Riffs said...

We always wait on the dessert utensils, too. Although we have some friends who really like wine, so we'll often do a couple of different wine glasses (for red and white). Sometimes three, if we're starting with champagne! Always a fun thing to do. :-)