Monday, August 22, 2016

Sunday in the Park


Walking in Huron-Clinton Metropark near Ann Arbor Sunday we saw lots of mushrooms in the grass, probably abundant because of several recent rainstorms. I'm not a wild mushroom hunter so I have no idea if these could be eaten or if a bite of them would strike me dead.


On the circular trail around the park we saw other people strolling or running. There were quite a few cyclists, some grouped in families, others togged out and looking serious. We often walk or cycle this trail, enjoying the open fields in the eastern part of the park and the wooded river banks on the west side. We've seen sandhill cranes here in the past, but yesterday we saw only a flight of Canada geese. Songbirds, very audible in Spring, were silent. They've no doubt finished nesting: the chicks are fledged, and many birds must be nearly ready for fall migration.

This  tent caterpillars' nest against the blue sky doesn't seem as disgusting
as these pests often are.
Tree roots along the Huron River Bank.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I've much to catch up on, here! This, Hawaii... I'll do my best! Looks like you two had a great day!

Kitchen Riffs said...

I'm always tempted by wild mushrooms, but then remember I don't have a clue what I'm doing when it comes to hunting them. Fun pictures -- thanks.