Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Holy Grail?

in-n-out6284

After years of procrastination, we finally ate dinner tonight at In-N-Out Burger. We never got around to it during our stay in San Diego in 2009. We are leaving here in just over a week: lucky that we made it this time.

Our expectations were very modest: we had heard that though it's very highly hyped, most level-headed hamburger eaters find the food here just a bit better than MacDonald's. Our expectations were met. AHHHHH.... an ordinary hamburger!

in-n-out6280

Most of our fellow customers were probably not influenced by Julia Child's admiration for In-N-Out Burger, unlike the foodies lining up at the Super Rica Taqueria. My guess is that most of our fellow customers haven't actually heard of Julia Child at all, since they seem to be mainly high school students, some maybe too young to have even seen "Julie and Julia" (which didn't mention either In-N-Out Burger or Super Rica anyway). I overheard a conversation about falling off a skateboard. Nothing about Julia Child.

in-n-out6287

So this is it. The Holy Grail, not. Another peak California experience, perhaps.

2 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

In all my trips to California, I've never made it to In-N-Out, though every says I should go. Glad to know it's good but not great.

~~louise~~ said...

I never made it there either. Although, we were in the area however, I just couldn't get myself geared up for a hamburger at the time. Thanks for the review, Mae. I don't see myself heading west this year but it sure is good to know!!! (I'm still trying to get to Michigan:)