Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Art Fair Food (that which I didn't eat)

artfair3506

The most beautiful art work at the Ann Arbor Art Fair might just be the Milles Fountain in front of the Michigan League. This morning the water sparkled in the slanting sunlight, already baking the tables set up there for those buying food at the food stalls along the side of the building. Art Fair food comes from those trailers that go from carnival to carnival or other event with some approximation of fast food. It doesn't actually appeal to me much. I know I'm in a minority on this -- the lines were really long when my companions bought their Gyros sandwiches, not here, but in front of the Union.

artfair3399

The smoothie booth is colorful. Too bad I hate bananas.

artfair3501

Fusion stir-fry. Whatever. I had a large diet Pepsi from the fast food court in the Union & sat with my friends as they ate their Gyros. Later I had Almond Joy ice cream from the local shop Stucchi's. I'm just not a fan of carnival food. Not Greek Salad. Not Funnel Cakes. Not hot dogs. Sorry, I'm just not into that.

artfair3509

After walking around and looking at the artists' work, we stopped to hear Mr. B. play boogie-woogie on his piano-on-a-bicycle. I bought a painting, a mug, a ceramic dish for butter or cream cheese, and a tee shirt. I'll photograph them when I bring them home from campus. Somehow I did not find any artists' booths that I felt compelled to photograph -- maybe later in the week I will.

2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Birthday Mae!!! I hope you have a glorious day.

Next time, take me with you. I wouldn't mind doing your "dirty" work and tasting all those goodies. I mean really, what else could I do in order to celebrate Junk Food Day!

Jeanie said...

Almond joy ice cream sounds pretty awesome! And I can't wait to see your finds -- wish I could have been with you looking!

Is your birthday today? I didn't know! I hope it's wonderfully happy!