Monday, September 21, 2009

Chutney

This is a deferred post to remind me that the chutney I made on Sept. 7 has now rested for 2 weeks. Resting chutney makes an amazing flavor difference. When I use it, I'll write more about how it tasted, and post the recipe if it's good.

UPDATE to this short post: I tried the chutney for lunch with leftover roast chicken from last night. I think this recipe is a keeper so here it is.

Peach Chutney
14 peeled peaches in various size slices
2 green apples peeled in various size slices
3 cups brown sugar (or 2 brown, 1 white)
2 cups cider vinegar
1 hot pepper and 1 small sweet pepper, seeded & chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
3 or more cardamom pods, crushed
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
cloves, allspice berries, cinnamon stick

While preparing the peaches, bring the other ingredients to a simmer. Add the peaches as they are ready. Simmer 2 hours until all fruit is very soft. Put into jars, refrigerate, and wait two weeks before using it. Refrigerated, it should keep for several months. It's good with meat, with cheddar cheese, or with curried vegetables.

No comments: