Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Coffee


This morning for a change I had a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Ordinary coffee.

Next door was an Einstein's Bagels, but it didn't seem nearly as nice a place to sit down. That couldn't account for the difference in lines: the 5 or 6 people ahead of me at Starbucks were all getting coffee to go. So they couldn't have been interested in the seating arrangement.

At one table, two middle-aged women were playing Mah Jong. After a while, I heard a sort of tinkling clatter, as they put away the tiles and left. Mah Jong seems to be experiencing a rebirth. One of the youngish women in my fitness class says she plays with her friends every Tuesday morning, and knows quite a few people who play. I associate Mah Jong with my aunts -- I guess it has skipped a generation and made a comeback.

No comments: