Sunday, January 04, 2009

California Dining

After driving for around 4 hours out of Tucson, we stopped in El Centro, CA, for gas. I noticed "Mexicali Taco" opposite the gas station. The sign said they had menudo on Saturday and Sunday. I'm interested in trying all sorts of special foods...
Menudo is very special. If you really want to know, it has a very repulsive odor. I was able to eat some of it by putting lemon and chopped onion in it. The posole (dried corn) is not bad, but still has that tripe taste -- if you didn't know it, menudo is tripe, which is big chunks of pig intestine. OK, it's pretty bad. The tortillas in the foil wrap were beautiful fresh ones, though, and the enchilada and burrito were very good. Menudo is evidently a very special taste. And I don't share it.
Here is a view of the counter. Click on the picture to see if you can read the guy's t-shirt.

Now we are in La Jolla, and had dinner at a very different type of place, a bistro with arugula and grilled chicken salad, Vigonier wine, and spaghetti with clam sauce.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think I'd prefer the LaJolla bistro. I've never been a fan of menudo.